Recommendations on a single stack .40 caliber

Satyr

Established Member
Anybody have a single stack .40 that they carry? I currently have a .380 bodyguard for summer carrying but have gotten so used to it that I have been carrying it in the winter, too. I wouldn't mind picking up some additional stopping power, but want to stick with a single stack. I have seen the models by Taurus, Kahr and Sig (Sig has been ruled out due to its width). Anybody have recommendations or personal experience with any of these or others?

EDIT: Important to add that I am looking to keep this purchase under $700. While I love the smaller 1911 models, they are out of my price range and I don't want to have to get .45 ammo. I have plenty of .40 ammo and would prefer to stick with the round.

Last edited:

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
603281_01_scherer_29_rnd_glock_extended__640.jpg

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I carry an Smith and Wesson M&P Shield (single stack 9mm *also made in .40 S&W). Kahr also makes a single stack .40 but it's out of your price range (estimated MSRP is around 780ish).

I paid around 450 for my Shield but they are hard to find right now. It's a pretty sweet gun and very light. It's a little snappy with 9 mm. I generally carry IWB off duty and on my ankle when on duty. Minimal printing with t-shirts/shorts, etc.

LC281

Established Member
I know you said .40 but I've always thought the xds was a awesome pistol for carry

Satyr

Established Member
S&W M&P shield .40 is good

Thanks. Hadn't seen this model. Definitely going to research it.
I know you said .40 but I've always thought the xds was a awesome pistol for carry

The XDS is awesome and was my actual first choice. But with ammo prices the way they are, it's easier for me to just get a .40 since I have plenty of that ammo. I guess I could still end up going with it, considering it would be only for carrying purposes.

+1 on the XD series
BTW why stop at a .40?
XD-S Compact 45ACP Pistol | Springfield Armory USA

BTW here's a 1911 in .40

Springfield Armory

Mainly wanted to stop at .40 because I have plenty of ammo. That SA 1911 is great, but when I saw them last they were over $1000, which is why I had ruled them out in my first post. I will keep a lookout for them, though.

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
The Kimbers ARE over a grand but I don't think the Springfields are. Let me look something up...stand bye

Satyr

Established Member
I carry an Smith and Wesson M&P Shield (single stack 9mm *also made in .40 S&W). Kahr also makes a single stack .40 but it's out of your price range (estimated MSRP is around 780ish).

I paid around 450 for my Shield but they are hard to find right now. It's a pretty sweet gun and very light. It's a little snappy with 9 mm. I generally carry IWB off duty and on my ankle when on duty. Minimal printing with t-shirts/shorts, etc.

Thanks for the recommendation. Gotta find someone local with a Shield so I can check it out. The Kahr models I was looking at (CW40 and PM40) are relatively easy to find. I think I can find one for within my price range. What's your impression of them?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
wrong gun, sorry

Well hell's bells, I was looking at a single action SIG in .40 at a local store but I can't find the model, I'm not normally a fan of SIGs but this one had some promise.

Last edited:

Stripped302

Established Member
I like the Walther PPS, comes in a 9 or a .40, single stack, to different back straps and 2 different magazines. Shoots real nice, great size, and a good value for the price.

LC281

Established Member
If all else fails I love my m&p .40c. Not single stack but its an awesome choice IMO. I'm 6"2 And pretty slender and summer is no obstacle for conceal

SHOdown220

Established Member
I would vote shield but they are impossible to find right now unless you luck up or pay 200 over Msrp. The Walter pps is a pretty nice gun but something about the texture made my hands sore after shooting it iirc. As much as a hate Taurus auto loaders I owned a 740 and it never had a failure when I owned it. I wish I still had it but sold it to fund my xd. The 740 was reliable for me but not a real joy to shoot due to the caliber and size. I plan to pick up something single stack when it gets warmer but I'm trying to hold out for a shield.

Stripped302

Established Member
I would vote shield but they are impossible to find right now unless you luck up or pay 200 over Msrp. The Walter pps is a pretty nice gun but something about the texture made my hands sore after shooting it iirc. As much as a hate Taurus auto loaders I owned a 740 and it never had a failure when I owned it. I wish I still had it but sold it to fund my xd. The 740 was reliable for me but not a real joy to shoot due to the caliber and size. I plan to pick up something single stack when it gets warmer but I'm trying to hold out for a shield.

I had this issue at first but used the supplied larger blackstrap and the magazine with the pinky extension and it just seemed to place the gun better in my hand, and did not make it any bulkier to carry or conceal. I do like the shield though, was just impossible to find. Also I'm a little partial to walthers as I have a PPK/S, both guns have about 400 rounds with out a single issue.

Users who are viewing this thread