Recommendation to remove scratch from trunk hatch...

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Hi guys,

I'm furious. Went out for breakfast with my wife this morning and noticed a scratch on the trunk hatch when we got back to the Shelby. See pics... bottom right area. Most of it rubbed off, but you can still see where it was marked the deepest. I tried a banana + banana peel. No luck. I then tried toothpaste. No luck either.

I'm not exactly sure what type of surface the hatch is... if it's glass, plastic, thick clear coat? Can I just use a standard 3 step clay, polish, wax here? Any particular scratch filler?

This is literally the only noticeable scratch that has shown up on the car in my 1.5+ years while I've owned it. Appreciate any guidance...

IMG_0708_zpsefauknic.jpg

Coosawjack

Established Member
You can buy a new panel or remove this one and have a body shop repaint.......both will probably be about $400!!:(

Wonder why someone would do that......were ya parked sideways across 2 spaces by chance??:rolleyes:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
You can buy a new panel or remove this one and have a body shop repaint.......both will probably be about $400!!:(

Wonder why someone would do that......were ya parked sideways across 2 spaces by chance??:rolleyes:

Thanks... I just did some googling and ebay searching now that I know the proper term is "decklid." Looks like your cost estimate was right... ~$400. Not ready to spend that for just one scratch... as upset as I am.

It was a parallel parking space in a downtown area. I'm guessing someone just got sloppy with their purse or something walking between my car and the one that parked behind me. I grabbed the forward most spot so nobody could park in front of me. Guess I should've parked all the way in the back spot!

Coosawjack

Established Member
Just take it in stride and stop looking at it......enjoy the car for what it is and the FUN you have with it!!;)

I had a 1966 Cobra Replica that was perfect except for a Spider Web crack in the gel coat that JUMPED OUT AT me the first few months so I was gonna fix it ASAP........FUN CAR......BIGGER MOTOR.......MORE FUN then sold 11 years later with the same crack!!:)

RBB

Established Member
I'd give some compound or polish a shot. Start with the least aggressive method first and work your way up if necessary. I bought a set of 13/14 tail lights that were a little banged up and they polished up nicely, so I see no reason why the decklid wouldn't do the same.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Just take it in stride and stop looking at it......enjoy the car for what it is and the FUN you have with it!!;)

I had a 1966 Cobra Replica that was perfect except for a Spider Web crack in the gel coat that JUMPED OUT AT me the first few months so I was gonna fix it ASAP........FUN CAR......BIGGER MOTOR.......MORE FUN then sold 11 years later with the same crack!!:)

I hear ya. My wife was like ... "Why are you so upset? Nobody will notice... I didn't until you pointed it out!" Maybe it's because if I did it to someone else's nice car I'd leave a note with my contact info. But who knows exactly how it even got there or if the person noticed.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
I'd give some compound or polish a shot. Start with the least aggressive method first and work your way up if necessary. I bought a set of 13/14 tail lights that were a little banged up and they polished up nicely, so I see no reason why the decklid wouldn't do the same.

I think I'm going to give this a shot. If it worked on the tail lights it should help the deck lid. I only have the same amount of $ to lose

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
+1.

I'm sure the detailing guru on here ( his name escapes me ) can guide you. He's a wizard!
@NastyGT500 is one of the best detailing gurus on the board. He's a regular in the Show'n'Shine Saloon.

M91196

Established Member
I've had great success pulling scratches from that type of plastic. Treat it just like paint, least aggressive methods first. So many brands of product I won't quote one as better than another. Looks like you'll need a machine so maybe for this one pay an expert.
I think you'll be able to get that almost invisible or better.

RBB

Established Member
Griots makes a smaller 3" polisher that's perfect for this kind of stuff with something like a LC thinpro pad.

Users who are viewing this thread