Recommendation for paint correction in central or socal

thekanezzi

Established Member
Hi guys

I recently picked up a black 04 cobra vert. The car is in great shape but I'm a bit of a paint nazi. I have done paint correction myself in the past but I don't have the patience, time, or energy to do it again. It has some factory orange peel and plenty of swirls.

I'm looking for a cut, polish, and some sort of nano coating (car pro, opti seal, ect) applied.

I have received some loose (on the phone, not seeing the car) quotes in LA for $1500 for the car pros and $1250 for the opti seal. I'm guessing these are estimated higher since they haven't seen the car yet

Can anyone comment on which products are recommended for a black car and suggest a place that does great work? No need for show car status, I will drive the car in all weather and clean it myself.

Don't mind driving a ways from Bakersfield but the closer the better.

Thanks

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...g-cars/22805-professional-detailers-list.html

Once you fix your paint - or get it fixed and protected please make sure you use a safe wash method or you will be installing swirls all over again and going back to square one.

I personally use the GDWM (Garry Dean Wash Method) - but the 2 bucket method works well if you do it properly. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

*edit
Note- OptiSeal requires you to have a minimum price point AND be a licensed/bonded detailer. Most detailers I know charge north of $650 just to do the coating. I know I would charge between $500-$700 for the detailing part of it so $1500 isn't THAT outlandish for what you're asking them to do for you. I'd say you're looking at a minumum of $1100 for that job total.

Last edited:

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
You can always do the meguiars m105 cutting compound followed by m205 polish.

My personal favorite is Menzerna fg400 followed by Menzerna Mc 2500 as a medium cut and lastly Menzerna Super Finish 3500 (SF-3500) as a fine polish. I don't really mess with coatings. But Collinite 845 is a fan favorite and i stand by it 100 percent.

Don't pay someone unless you really don't feel like doing it. If you can pay for the products needed, (polish, microfibers, pads) and a DA then you're already half way there. Learning the technique is easy. And by the time you're done, you'll have more product left over for your DD or whatever, saving you money.

Just my $.02

If you want to get more in depth, pm me and I will help you get started.

-Trevor

Last edited:

thekanezzi

Established Member
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...g-cars/22805-professional-detailers-list.html

Once you fix your paint - or get it fixed and protected please make sure you use a safe wash method or you will be installing swirls all over again and going back to square one.

I personally use the GDWM (Garry Dean Wash Method) - but the 2 bucket method works well if you do it properly. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

*edit
Note- OptiSeal requires you to have a minimum price point AND be a licensed/bonded detailer. Most detailers I know charge north of $650 just to do the coating. I know I would charge between $500-$700 for the detailing part of it so $1500 isn't THAT outlandish for what you're asking them to do for you. I'd say you're looking at a minumum of $1100 for that job total.

Good info, thanks. I use the 2 bucket with grit guard method only. I am able to keep the paint in good shape with this, my cars seldom see anything but dust where I live. I'll look into the GDWM method as well. Do you have experience with optiseal?

You can always do the meguiars m105 cutting compound followed by m205 polish.

My personal favorite is Menzerna fg400 followed by Menzerna Mc 2500 as a medium cut and lastly Menzerna Super Finish 3500 (SF-3500) as a fine polish. I don't really mess with coatings. But Collinite 845 is a fan favorite and i stand by it 100 percent.

Don't pay someone unless you really don't feel like doing it. If you can pay for the products needed, (polish, microfibers, pads) and a DA then you're already half way there. Learning the technique is easy. And by the time you're done, you'll have more product left over for your DD or whatever, saving you money.

Just my $.02

If you want to get more in depth, pm me and I will help you get started.

-Trevor

Thanks for the heads up. I have done it before in my younger days. I don't enjoy doing it because I'm stressed I'll mess up and my attention to detail for such things is really much lower now that I'm older.

Why don't you use coatings? I've never used them but they seem to be all the rage.

Thanks!

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
Good info, thanks. I use the 2 bucket with grit guard method only. I am able to keep the paint in good shape with this, my cars seldom see anything but dust where I live. I'll look into the GDWM method as well. Do you have experience with optiseal?

Thanks for the heads up. I have done it before in my younger days. I don't enjoy doing it because I'm stressed I'll mess up and my attention to detail for such things is really much lower now that I'm older.

Why don't you use coatings? I've never used them but they seem to be all the rage.

Thanks!

Definitely do seem to be the rage. I use to apply them at a dealership I worked for. Just haven't messed with them on a personal car.

thekanezzi

Established Member
I have actually. That stuff seems to be a little more pricey, which is ok if it's better in some way. Have you used it before?

Users who are viewing this thread