Recommend a Dual-Sport Motorcylce

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Recommend a Dual-Sport Motorcycle

Hey folks,

So I have been wanting to get a motorcycle for a few months now, and as luck would have it (or not lol), some old **** ran a red light last Thursday and t-boned me in the middle of an intersection. I am fine, but my car is totaled. Now that I am forced to get a new car, this would also be a good time to get a bike.

I think a dual-sport would be a good bike to start on because I want something that I can use off pavement as well, and keep for a while. If anyone thinks something would be better, I am open to suggestions.

Right now I have the KTM 690 ENDURO R in mind

My budget would be probably $7.5k, so more than likely going to get something used so I can buy the proper gear to go with it.

Last edited:

Rdnckhoops

DRZ400SM. This is what I own currently and they are bulletproof. Yes, the basic bike hasn't been updated since 1945(jk), but it gets the job done and is a very capable machine.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member

I was looking at that as well, but I saw some people express concern over the amount of maintenance that might be required for that type of motor. I am not too familiar with the different types of motorcycle motors, but I don't want something where I will be required to change the oil every week. If I got a motorcycle, I think I would probably ride it about 100 miles a week. I live in Southern California so I would plan to ride pretty much year around (only local commutes, not during traffic).

Last edited:

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Ask yourself what percentage of riding will be done on pavement vers dirt. I was in your shoes about three years ago and thought I was going to spend more time on the dirt so i bought a bike like the one your are looking at. Turns out i spend more time on pavement so I now have a kawasaki versys. Great bike and does all thing well. It comes in two sizes. Go for the one that fits you best. Both are great choices.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ask yourself what percentage of riding will be done on pavement vers dirt. I was in your shoes about three years ago and thought I was going to spend more time on the dirt so i bought a bike like the one your are looking at. Turns out i spend more time on pavement so I now have a kawasaki versys. Great bike and does all thing well. It comes in two sizes. Go for the one that fits you best. Both are great choices.

Thats a good point. If you think you'll be on pavement more than dirt maybe one of the Scramblers from Triumph or Ducati would itch that scratch. Triumph Scram's can be had, used, for under $7K all day long.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member

I will definitely be on pavement 80%+ of the time I ride. I was thinking about doing a conversion like this where I would be able to switch between pavement/dirt:

00909_3ikqmwExiHg_1200x900.jpg

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That would be cool but you may be asking for a lot of maintenance. Single cylinder thumpers aren't meant for prolonged highway use. Valve clearance and oil changes come very frequently when riding the bike a lot. It's all personal preference.

I had an Aprilia SXV 550 Supermoto. Fantastic bike. Ridiculous amounts of fun. Pain in the ass to maintain. And it hurt my taint.

I'd commute on the Ape a few times a week (15 miles each way). I'd be changing the 1.25 L of oil every-other-week. Kinda took some of the thrill out of it. I'd rather ride than wrench.

Blackoyote

Established Member
As noted, any dirtbike based single cylinder bike won't be ideal for lots of street riding, unless you just LOVE turning wrenches. The fact that you're interested in a motard type bike makes me believe you want something a little more agile and sporty...leading me to the below.

For $7500 there are quite a few options for you that involve getting something specific for both on road and off road, that way you aren't compromising the shit out of each discipline. For instance...you could pick up a nice standard like a Z1000/SV1000/SV650/Ninja 650/etc easily for $4k that'll need nothing more than oil changes every 3k miles, and then pick up a 450F dirtbike in the $2500 range (plenty out there) for your offroad itch. Assuming you have don't have a truck, you'd even have $1k of budget left over to pick up a $1k 6x12 open trailer for getting to the trails!:beer:

EDIT: If you just HAVE to have a dual sport the KTM is nice, but you'll pay the KTM tax. The KLR650 is another really solid option.

Last edited:

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
As noted, any dirtbike based single cylinder bike won't be ideal for lots of street riding, unless you just LOVE turning wrenches. The fact that you're interested in a motard type bike makes me believe you want something a little more agile and sporty...leading me to the below.

For $7500 there are quite a few options for you that involve getting something specific for both on road and off road, that way you aren't compromising the shit out of each discipline. For instance...you could pick up a nice standard like a Z1000/SV1000/SV650/Ninja 650/etc easily for $4k that'll need nothing more than oil changes every 3k miles, and then pick up a 450F dirtbike in the $2500 range (plenty out there) for your offroad itch. Assuming you have don't have a truck, you'd even have $1k of budget left over to pick up a $1k 6x12 open trailer for getting to the trails!:beer:

EDIT: If you just HAVE to have a dual sport the KTM is nice, but you'll pay the KTM tax. The KLR650 is another really solid option.

I was just about to type a response similar to this guy's. I worked at a Honda/Yamaha/Polaris dealership for a while and I'd always steer people away from dual sports unless they were riding 90% off road, but needed something street legal to get from trail to trail. Since you're mostly on the street, I'd get a nice used 600 street bike from somebody like a military dude who's shipping out, and a dirt bike for the times you'll be on the trails.

I paid $1300 for an old '92 CBR 600 F2 with like 30k miles on it, about 100 horsepower, 16K redline and it's a rock solid, fun bike. Valves haven't moved since I bought it. Also have an '02 YZ426 for messing around in the dirt, pretty reliable but needs a lot more attention. The two bikes are nothing alike, so if you try and get one bike that does both, you'll be severely compromising yourself in one direction or the other.

oldmodman

Established Member
I had a KLR-650 for years. Commuted with it every day on the freeway. plus it worked just fine out in the desert and racing around on the dry lake. Never needed any work other than basic maintenance.

Then I had a chance to pick up Honda's original Africa Twin and loved it. Much more powerful and better brakes than the 650. But also a lot heavier. But since almost all riding was street it was perfect. Also totally reliable. Never did anything except change oil, filters, and plugs.

But one thing you should absolutely do is try the bike before you buy. I rode a big KTM and it was a total butt killer. I was uncomfortable in ten minutes and only wanted to get off after 30. Great engine though.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
That would be cool but you may be asking for a lot of maintenance. Single cylinder thumpers aren't meant for prolonged highway use. Valve clearance and oil changes come very frequently when riding the bike a lot. It's all personal preference.

I had an Aprilia SXV 550 Supermoto. Fantastic bike. Ridiculous amounts of fun. Pain in the ass to maintain. And it hurt my taint.

I'd commute on the Ape a few times a week (15 miles each way). I'd be changing the 1.25 L of oil every-other-week. Kinda took some of the thrill out of it. I'd rather ride than wrench.

Fair point. My thinking was that it would be nice to have something that I don't NEED to have a truck to tow around, because I don't plan on owning a truck right now. I just don't want to be inundated with maintenance like you mentioned.

I definitely want to get a Supersport at some point. My cousin has a GSXR 750 that he rides/tracks with that I have rode around in a parking lot for a bit and I really like the feel of the bike. I am 6'3" 215lbs so I am a bit bigger and it was comparable in size to some 600's I have sat on, but it has enough power that I wouldn't need to upgrade it (not that I would ever NEED more power than a 600, but having that lower end range on the 750 would be nice). Even though I know I can trust myself with the power, I feel I can actually advance faster as a rider on a less extreme bike to start with. I would like to eventually start taking some advanced rider courses and use it at the track.

I will mainly be using the bike around my house (to/from gym, local errands), and I would rarely if ever go on the highway because I will also have a car and I plan on being very selective of where/when/who I ride. I do like the Standards, but I know I would eventually want to upgrade to a SS. I also don't want to deal with a trailer or anything, I need something I can street with. I have friends who I would go with that have trucks and stuff so I just need to be able to drive to their house.

I had a KLR-650 for years. Commuted with it every day on the freeway. plus it worked just fine out in the desert and racing around on the dry lake. Never needed any work other than basic maintenance.

Then I had a chance to pick up Honda's original Africa Twin and loved it. Much more powerful and better brakes than the 650. But also a lot heavier. But since almost all riding was street it was perfect. Also totally reliable. Never did anything except change oil, filters, and plugs.

But one thing you should absolutely do is try the bike before you buy. I rode a big KTM and it was a total butt killer. I was uncomfortable in ten minutes and only wanted to get off after 30. Great engine though.

Thank you, good advice!

Motorcycles are dangerous. Just get yourself another car.

Well, I am getting another car that I will be using for highway commuting and any commuting during busy hours. I have actually wanted a motorcycle for years, and the reason I never got one or had a strong desire was for the reason you mentioned. Then, last year I dealt with too much death in my family and I realized life is too short to ignore something as great as riding in fear of something as inevitable as death. I know going down is inevitable, but there is a difference between going down at 30mph because maybe I took a turn slightly too fast, and going down at 150 mph because I was being a dumbass on the highway. I may not have the choice of whether or not I go down, but I absolutely have control over the circumstances, which is why I would only ride around my immediate area during lull hours. If I go down under those conditions, so be it!

Last edited:

Vigilante

Established Member
Highly interested in this subject, but I am most likely picking up my brothers r6 for dirt cheap.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I have a KLR650. I also have a Honda VFR800. My KLR is fun to putt around on, but you don't want to be on the highway doing 70 next to big trucks. The front is so much more unstable in that situation vs. a real street bike like my VFR. I've also thought about getting a second set of rims with street only tires, but honestly I never ride my bikes lately so never did. Since you are a good size guy and based on what you have talked about, I think a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 might be the bike for you. Great commuter with some good power and can handle some desert\adventure riding, just nothing hardcore.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I have a KLR650. I also have a Honda VFR800. My KLR is fun to putt around on, but you don't want to be on the highway doing 70 next to big trucks. The front is so much more unstable in that situation vs. a real street bike like my VFR. I've also thought about getting a second set of rims with street only tires, but honestly I never ride my bikes lately so never did. Since you are a good size guy and based on what you have talked about, I think a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 might be the bike for you. Great commuter with some good power and can handle some desert\adventure riding, just nothing hardcore.

Thanks for input!

nxhappy

Established Member
would be better if you had 2 bikes, one for MX and one for street

That being said, I love my Suzuki S1000

jbs$

Established Member
Having owned between one and five bikes for longer than most members have been alive, I can say with authority that there is not a satisfactory duel purpose bike in existence. Think what you want to do the most of and buy a bike for that use. Look in the used market for a second bike, they are cheap, for the other activity.

nxhappy

Established Member
buy a KTM for dirt, and something else for street .....you will be pleased

Users who are viewing this thread