Recomendations for a clutch-

ShawnPhillips26

Looking for ideas on a replacement clutch on my 2003 Cobra. Simple boltons (475rwhp). Want some thing that isn't heavy. No strip use. Budget conscious.
Seems everyone has an opinion and reviews can vary.
TIA

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is that lighter than stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm pretty sure Valeo makes the stock clutch. The last stock clutch I had in my garage had Valeo stamped on the pressure plate.

I think you're going to have to go aftermarket if you want a lighter pedal.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah it’s on the pressure plate. The disk itself might have a stamp on it too I can’t remember. I found a new old stock one a few years ago when I changed out my TOB and put a new retainer sleeve in it. Just wanted to drop the trans one time haha. I like the feel of the stock clutch and am at similar power levels. Holds just fine

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I'm pretty sure Valeo makes the stock clutch. The last stock clutch I had in my garage had Valeo stamped on the pressure plate.

I think you're going to have to go aftermarket if you want a lighter pedal.

I know, I was being facetious. Valeo makes the stock clutch but op mentioned he wanted lighter so why mention the oem stock one? Oem is know to give you a Popeye sized calf muscle.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I prefer to call it my ass kicking leg instead of a Popeye leg...
Also “isn’t heavy” is subjective. I don’t think the stock is that heavy whereas someone who came from a hydraulic clutch probably thinks it’s the same as a 350 lb leg press

ShawnPhillips26

I just bought the car and it has an aftermarket clutch which is very heavy. TO bearing is going so I figured I would replace the clutch while the trans is out, and wanted to go closer to stock but make sure it could handle up to 500hp.

black 10th vert

Established Member
If you want a lighter pedal but still have plenty of holding for not only your current power, but room to mod as well, you should consider a dual disc setup like the McCloud RXT. That’s what I’m going with should my clutch ever go. Probably be awhile with only 17k miles on it, and it holds just fine with my Whipple running 18psi, but I hate how heavy it is. It gets old quick when in stop and go type traffic!

shznit

shznit
Established Member
If you want a lighter pedal but still have plenty of holding for not only your current power, but room to mod as well, you should consider a dual disc setup like the McCloud RXT. That’s what I’m going with should my clutch ever go. Probably be awhile with only 17k miles on it, and it holds just fine with my Whipple running 18psi, but I hate how heavy it is. It gets old quick when in stop and go type traffic!
I have 62k on my OG clutch and still going. Upgrading to E85 and a 2.9 Whipple (currently on a 2.3 Whipple) just so I don’t smoke it in the middle of dynoing or something lol

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out the promotion single disc clutches.

I'm now running a centerforce twin disc dyad. Likely overkill for your hp, but it's smooth as butter!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

shznit

shznit
Established Member
Upgrading to what clutch?

I ordered the RXT and flywheel with all of the misc stuff. Kills me to remove a perfectly running clutch but why do the fuel and blower upgrade then have issues with the clutch later? lol

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I bought the car with what I believe is a Spec Stage 2 w/26 spline. It's a good clutch and holds...however the pedal is super stiff. If my seat didn't have a backrest to push against, I couldn't drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread