Recognition for our Cobras

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
I was watching Mecum auto auction on Speed Channel last month and a 94 Cobra Vert rolled through and the announcers starting talking about how the 93 Cobra was the one to have. The latest car and driver also did a little blurb on page 37. Nice to see and hear some positive things about the future collectability of our cars.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
My wife and I will watch that show from every once in a while. I wish we could have seen that episode, she doesn’t appreciate the ‘93’s and gives me hell about buying my car from time to time. It would have been nice for someone else to validate how special they really are…..but like I always tell her, what the hell does she know anyways :D.

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Starting to see more and more people ask mr year model and then say "last year of the fox body, right?"

Once the economy gets turned back around, I have no doubt their value will go right back up again.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
Didn't check cobra prices, but the NADA collectable car guide now has fox bodys in it. I know this because my car got its bi-annual inspection from my collector car insurance company. NADA guide list a stock '89 GT for $13,000 and with my mods, and the low mileage of my car they have no problem covering the car for $20,000. Not saying it is worth $20k, but if it was stolen and I had to find a clean fox and if a shop did the install work, that would be probably far less then what I have in it. Nice thing about agreed value is that I am limited to 5k miles a year. Which is about right for the miles I put on it. Nice part I pay $225 a year.

WillyB93

Established Member
I go with what the insurance people call agreed value term on my 1993 cobra with state farm and my rate is like 200.00 a year for 22k agreed value and 1000 deductible. I am not saying the value is that high now but hopefully some day it will be LOL!!!

red95gts

Established Member
In the new Car & Driver magazine, there is a little article about the 93 Cobra and how it's a good collectible from the 1990s to buy now...

Teal93

Glad to see people are starting to recognize our cars in the media. I still dont get any recognition unless I beat a terminator or a shelby. Everybody these days are about the new stuff.

Vib_93

Established Member
Ok man we are roughly four months away from 2012 (~20 years since Job 1) and NADA still does not have the 93 Cobra listed on its "Classic Cars" List. Even the 1993 LTD Edition Vert is on there but not the (non R) Cobra. I know the LE had fewer numbers but come on man!

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
I really think in 2013 you will see the value of these cars increase.

I'm not sure on how much the insurance companies have on the value.
But, When I inquired an agreed insurance policy on my Teal. The agent told me when it's 25 years old. They will clasify the car as a classic. They are willing to do an agreed value on these cars because of the info they have on them. In regards to being a low production car, and internet data into recent sales. Mainly from dealerships.

Not sure how accurate that info is. But, that's just what my Statefarm agent told me.

I got an agreed value of $15k on my 150k mile teal. Will it ever be worth that. Probably not..due to the miles. However, I really think overall condition of these cars will play more of a roll in value then miles as time goes on. A car with NO body damage, NO rust, or NO paint issues really should a better value then a car with with body, rust, and paint issues. No matter what the mileage is. My 02.

Last edited:

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Glad to hear that. Mine gets a ton of looks when I drive it. Almost every time I have it out, it gets a compliment. I was at the gas station the other day. I had finished pumping and went in with my son to pay. I noticed a guy looking my car over while I was paying. When I got outside, he asked if it was my car and told me how nice it was. My 8 yr old son was with me and he said "Dad why does everyone talk so much about your car? It is old!" :)

TX93Cobra

Established Member
Glad to hear that. Mine gets a ton of looks when I drive it. Almost every time I have it out, it gets a compliment. I was at the gas station the other day. I had finished pumping and went in with my son to pay. I noticed a guy looking my car over while I was paying. When I got outside, he asked if it was my car and told me how nice it was. My 8 yr old son was with me and he said "Dad why does everyone talk so much about your car? It is old!" :)

haha Im 22, and its always older guys that compliment my car, and the few younger kids that know what it is.

buddha93

Established Member
60's and 70's Muscle cars are worth pretty good coin now, regardless of mileage. Most are long gone, and these survivors are just plain cool and guys like to relive their youth through them.

A guy I know is a huge Mustang freak. Between him, the wife, and daughter, they have around 8 Mustangs.........one is a Mystic like yours Will, but a vert.

Anyway, he just so happens to have a 68' Shelby GT500KR he's owned since 72'. He paid $3200 for it. Unfortunately is was stolen a few years later, only to be recovered less the drivetrain, interior, and two smashed quarters. He repaired the body damage, tossed in a new drivetrain, and then parked in his barn (really). The thing is a basket case, but solid overall. The Shelby tag alone makes the car worth damn near $100k the way it sits.

So my point is, eventually these cars will get to a point where mileage becomes less of an issue. The correct VIN will be the first things buyers will be looking for.

WillyB93

Established Member
I would also say a few years down the road a restored car will bring as much if not more then an original car. Since this is how it seems to work out with the 60's and 70's cars that buddha quoted about.

PJM99

Established Member
I don't get the car out as often these days but it usually gets some attention. One of the last times I was out, I stopped for gas next door to a Toyota dealer and 3 sales guys walked over to check out the car. They were all big mustang fans and new right away what I had. One guy gave me his business card and told me to call if I ever want to sell. Last weekend I took it down the road to a local bake shop for breakfeast to bring home. When I came back out, the battery didn't have enough juice to crank it over. Luckily I was on enough of an incline to pop it. There were a bunch of young kids standing out front and I felt like a tool thinking they would bust my chops. But they all came over and said the car was badass. :)

I think today, most people associate the Cobra and think of the Terminators and GT 500, but the 93 Cobra has respect because it's the car that started it all. No one cares about the 97 cobra. The 93 holds a certain mystique that you don't see with too many other cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread