Reckless Driving in Florida info Please

Pimo

Established Member
This happened back in December but my court date is approaching so I am getting a little nervous and wanted some officers opinions on the matter.

I was taking a left at a three way intersection onto a major road at around 1 PM. When I pulled out I gunned it through third gear and then shifted to fifth and started driving like a sane person again. There was light traffic on the road, I passed a few cars during the speed burst. I failed to see the officer at the light when I made the initial turn. Needless to say he had me pulled over a short time later.

I pulled over, turned on the hazards and shut the car down. I had my liscense, registration and insurance in my hand when the officer approached the car. He told me to get out of the car, I did. He patted me down and cuffed me while informing me that I was being arrested for reckless driving. I was a little suprised but remained calm and courteous throught. In the end he had my car impounded (seeing the cobra on the flatbed while in the back of a cop car is a terrible experience believe me) and took me to jail where I spent two days before being released on my own recognizance.

I am facing a Willfull and Wanton Reckless driving charge statue 316.192/2a, I have one speeding ticket on my record from April of 06. I have hired a lawyer but I am just wondering what to expect from the judge, Im hoping no more jail time. Anyways any and all info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

vulk

Established Member
dam man.. 2 days in jail wtf?! ive spent the night in holding cell, but i never knew there is jailtime for reckless driving.. i thought it was a misdemeanor which required community service or something? maybe its different inCA?

Did you get all the way through 3rd? meaning you were going 90+ on the street?

Last edited:

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Well,I f that is all you did, reckless is a pretty steep charge. Careless I could see, but reckless, Steep. Anyways, did you plea out, or are your fighting the charge. I cant imagine you doing any time for that. Especially with a clean record. maybe a little probation. Good luck, I am surprised your attorney isnt fighting this, or trying to have the charge dropped to a careless with a plea deal.

Pimo

Established Member
There is more to the story but it makes me feel stupid, when I got to jail they took all my belongings including my cell phone and being new to the area I did not know anyones number to call so I just waited untill first appearence with the judge and he laughed at me and told me to go home.

I am not sure exactly how fast I was going but I estimate 75-80 in a 45 mph zone. I am also fairly certain the cop was making an example of me because a day before a young man killed himself racing his GTO around.

So I could have been bailed out after a day if I had called someone, but I was really enjoying the bologne sandwiches so I decided to stick around :xpl:

Users who are viewing this thread