Recent experiences with NOS wot/window switch...

NTXRockr

Established Member
Quick question: anyone using the NOS window switch with built in TPS WOT switch? If so, have you heard or seen them burn up after just two hits? I mean literally burn up, the unit smoked and was visibly melted from the heat, PLUS it also zapped my throttle body and #5 coil on plug (the RPM signal wire was wired to #5). I ended up losing all throttle control, threw a CEL and MX wrench light, the code I pulled with the handheld was P2135 (TPS correlation error)...luckily a buddy has his car down for maintenance and loaned me his throttle body, but after the swap we found the #5 COP was also burnt crispy (literally, the shielding was cracked, melted and gone in places where it grounded out) and the cylinder was dead on the drive back home. Robbed a COP from his car, and she runs again.

The weird thing is that it ran fine until the issue arose about five minutes into the test drive. After the near fire, I removed the box and direct wired a push button for a simple control from my hand (no WOT or window switch) and it runs fine again...could I just have had a bad box from Jegs???

To note: I wired everything as instructed in the paperwork EXCEPT I mistakenly pulled TPS signal from the negative side (falling signal 4.5->0.0v instead of rising signal) but I did adjust this in the box since it will work for both rising and falling TPS signals. Other than that, I wired it on it's own fused circuit straight from the battery to a caged switch (instead of to an ignition "hot" power source) so that I could operate it with the car not running for troubleshooting, etc. I double and triple checked my circuits, they all were correct.

One other thing that could have screwed things up...I drained the battery dead that day and had to jump it. Shortly after that I swapped to a step colder plugs, while changing the #4 spark plug I accidentally touched the socket extension to the battery "positive" post while the socket was in the head, basically arc welding it for a split second. I'm not positive but this could have killed all three components (window switch, throttle body, COP) or at least fried the window switch which them burnt up the other two. I'm thinking the latter as it ran for several minutes and made it a few miles down the road before totally going nuts on me.

Long story short - I'm a little frazzled from this experience with the WOT/window switch setup, and for the time being am going to use a handheld launch button or maybe an old school WOT switch on the backside of the gas pedal. My only worry is about hitting the nitrous too soon, as I was spraying from 3000-7000 with the window switch but now am waiting until 3000 on the tach to spray and am holding it continuously through every shift. Do these intakes get enough air velocity to be able to spray sooner than 3000??? Also, do I need to retard 4* on 100 shot (6* on 150) or can I stick with 4* on 150 or stock timing on the 100? Right now I have a second tune with a default 4* pulled out throughout the entire range, but at the track it was a complete dog out of the hole until I hit it at 3000, and I'd like to fix this somehow (guessing I need to keep stock timing until 3000 and then retard it?)

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Sounds like you have had some bad luck. Hopefully someone will chime in and help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

cbrtrx

Established Member
To answer two of your questions, I would not spray these cars below 3k also I would pull out 6* on a 100 shot, I've found these car to not need very much timing on nitrous and there was no gains by adding any more timing while spraying.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
Did you use a relay for the wot/rpm switch?
Did you open up the box to see if it shorted out?

As for the arming switch, I put mine where the "dead pedal" would be so I can control it with my left foot.

Last edited:

Tuffnuts23

Established Member

As for the arming switch, I put mine where the "dead pedal" would be so I can control it with my left foot.

I was thinking relay too. I have a relay for my wot/rpm switch, and another for my heater.

NTXRockr

Established Member
To answer two of your questions, I would not spray these cars below 3k also I would pull out 6* on a 100 shot, I've found these car to not need very much timing on nitrous and there was no gains by adding any more timing while spraying.

I was pulling 4* off across the board, and it seemed to run fine other than sixty-footing like a dog...so yesterday I had my tuner add back the 4* timing to the n/a portion from idle to 3500 and pull 4* from 3500-7500 for when I'm spraying, that way it'll get out of the hole better and then be safe for the nitrous.

I'd never heard to pull 6* on a 100 shot on these cars, usually most pull 4* on the first 100 and 2* for every additional 50 shot. In my past experience the rule of thumb on carb cars was 2* for every 50 shot regardless...

Yes, I have a relay wired in that came with the Nitrous Outlet kit. I wired it the same as the NOS window switch instructions showed to do. The relay functions as it should, as I'm using it still for the direct button setup so no problems there as far as a short, etc. If you meant the window switch, no need to open the box as it's melted through the face and digital screens...anything that was connected electrically to the window switch was destroyed, if that gives you any idea of how bad this was. I still have a burnt smell under my hood from it haha.

As far as the "dead pedal" idea, we thought of doing that too since it's like the old high beam switches on older cars. I prefer the handheld thumb switch since it was old habit in the dragster, plus it'll be easier to move to a t-handle on the shifter if I ever decide to go that route.

5PNTSLO

Established Member
Which wire did you tap on the tps sensor and to which wire from the NOS unit, also which wire did you tap for RPM signal and to which wire on the NOS unit?

cbrtrx

Established Member
I was pulling 4* off across the board, and it seemed to run fine other than sixty-footing like a dog...so yesterday I had my tuner add back the 4* timing to the n/a portion from idle to 3500 and pull 4* from 3500-7500 for when I'm spraying, that way it'll get out of the hole better and then be safe for the nitrous.

I'd never heard to pull 6* on a 100 shot on these cars, usually most pull 4* on the first 100 and 2* for every additional 50 shot. In my past experience the rule of thumb on carb cars was 2* for every 50 shot regardless...

These cars are nothing like an old carb car. Cylinder head design and variable cam timing makes things much different. These cars also make tremendous tq on the spray, keep the timing low if you want the motor to last, I've seen zero gains by raising the timing on spray on these cars. Ive been tuning nitrous for 10 years and have found these cars not to be like others. Just my opinion, good luck with the spray it's fun!

04compgt

Established Member

Yes, I have a relay wired in that came with the Nitrous Outlet kit. I wired it the same as the NOS window switch instructions showed to do. The relay functions as it should, as I'm using it still for the direct button setup so no problems there as far as a short, etc. If you meant the window switch, no need to open the box as it's melted through the face and digital screens...anything that was connected electrically to the window switch was destroyed, if that gives you any idea of how bad this was. I still have a burnt smell under my hood from it haha.

As far as the "dead pedal" idea, we thought of doing that too since it's like the old high beam switches on older cars. I prefer the handheld thumb switch since it was old habit in the dragster, plus it'll be easier to move to a t-handle on the shifter if I ever decide to go that route.

I would recommend to pull at least 6* on a 100 shot if running pump gas. Let me just put it this way on a 75 shot and e85 which is way better than pump gas, I pull 4* out but I also like to play it safe.

Users who are viewing this thread