Rec'd drag radial size and type

knoo

Established Member
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum. So far I am very impressed with the info on this one.

I have a 2001 silver cobra coupe. So far it is stock except for Eibach pro-kit springs, Bilstein '00 Cobra spec shocks, MM caster/camber plates and MM full-length subframe connectors. My first runs in Columbus, OH were not all that impressive. My best - 14.20 @ 101mph.

My goals are to eventually be competitive in the Summit ET series and eventually possibly Stock car drag racing. I have begun to compile a list of good mods for this car to help it "hook" up with the stock IRS. I've found lots of info on web i.e. - subframe bushings, differential brace, etc.

Where I come up short is reco'd drag slick sizes and rims. So many sizes to choose from. If I do stock car racing I believe I'm limited to 9" wide slicks and not being able to do a live axle swap without disqualification. However, I figure I do want a taller tire profile. Also, for next year's summit ET series I do want to be able to drive to the track and not have to trailer it. I do want to purchase an additional set of rims/tires to put on for race day.

Thanks for any suggestions anybody has. Also, if anybody has had any experience in bracket racing with a '99 or '01 with an IRS I would like to hear of your experiences.

Regards,
Dan Knaus

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
any serious tire/launch will break the irs. however, if you want a tire that hooks very well, but you don't need it to last long, id go with a set of BFG 275/50/15s on a set of
usw-84-5712.jpg

wheels are 85 for the set, and the tires are 270 for the set.

shit, forgot that you have IRS.

maybe get the 255/16s instead.

knoo

Established Member
Quadcammer,

Thanks for the reply. I hear ya' about the breaking the IRS. I do plan to upgrade the axles as well knowing I still could easily break the next weak point. Do you know what interferes using the 275/50/15s with the IRS?

-knoo

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
boy its been a while since i had the IRS, but I believe its the tie rod knuckle

knoo

Established Member
I'll check it today. This afternoon I'm installing the diff brace I got from Billetflow. Thanks for the info guys.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
If you want to be competive in the summit ET series that IRS has to go. No if ands or buts

I raced factory stock a few times and was clearly faster on the big end but i was never able to make up the ground that i gave up in the first 60 feet. Those solid rear end cars came flying out the hole where as i couldn't without wheel hop

knoo

Established Member
Double "O",

Did swapping to a solid rear disqualify you from racing stock? This is my only hold-up to switching to a solid rear. :shrug:

-knoo

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
knoo said:
Double "O",

Did swapping to a solid rear disqualify you from racing stock? This is my only hold-up to switching to a solid rear. :shrug:

-knoo

no you can have a solid rear in factory stock. I still have my IRS, i want a solid rear though

my blower DQd me from running Factory stock, So this year i plan on running modular classes. at FFW Orlando and NMRA Bradenton

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
knoo said:
Quadcammer,

Thanks for the reply. I hear ya' about the breaking the IRS. I do plan to upgrade the axles as well knowing I still could easily break the next weak point. Do you know what interferes using the 275/50/15s with the IRS?

-knoo

Your axles isn't exactly the weak point as long as you don't wheel hop. I recieve NO wheel hop with gears, DRs, and subframe connectors. You WILL come across another weak spot tho: The pumpkin. Mega traction will cause it to flex and break like mine did:
100_8945.gif

Just be sure to pick up a diff brace, and you should be good to go with the right tire/gear/driver setup.

knoo

Established Member
Sonic 4.6 - Holy sh&*. That sucks. I put a diff brace on last weekend for that reason. Lots of pics on the web just like that. Looks like the whole rear end just "grenaded"

Before I do the swap to the solid rear end I am going to give the IRS a shot using your input as well as numerous other posts on the net. Looks like the worst that could happen is I break something / inconsistent ETs. Their seems to be a "ton" of debate as to the usefullness of the IRS in drag racing. To bad I didn't consider I would get hooked to drag racing when I bought my cobra. :(

For all of those solid rear guys - what setup do you reco when converting? As I mentioned before my goals are to be competitive in the Summit ET series / stock car racing. I would want to take the strengh up a few steps from factory to ensure long life.

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Oh man, don’t even get me started on solid swaps. There are SO many people that swap the IRS out for no damn reason. I really don’t see ANY point unless you are putting down a great amount of power. I have ZERO wheelhop on my current setup, and I haven’t even touched my IRS. Even with 400rwhp, I still don’t see why you would want to give up your great handling/ride for a solid axle, when you can make IRS do the same thing for little money. I will be spraying my car and going for 11s next season, and I stillI will not do anything different except for prothane IRS bushings..

That is just the way I see it I guess. You already have a brace, so now get some gears, tires, subframe connectors, and prothanes. Your car will be hard to beat with that setup, and shouldn’t have ANY problems breaking shit unless you are a n00b at driving.

Users who are viewing this thread