Rebuilt tranny or clutch?

Blackgeetee

Established Member
I'm kind of in a bit of a dilemna. My clutch is getting VERY bad now. It's slipping so bad it's actually slower than when it was stock. I'm not sure how much longer it may last. Anyway, the 2nd and 3rd syncros are bad too. I'm not sure if the crappy condition of the clutch can affect shifting precision or not, in other words making that worse. So my dilemna is whether to just go ahead and replace the whole tranny, which would be very expensive. Or just replace the clutch and see if it helps the shifting a bit. Even if the shifting isn't any better at least I will have full power again. The problem is I only have about a thousand dollars to work with. Would it be possible to get a rebuilt tranny and clutch for around that much? Thanks for any feedback on all of this...:beer:

montanagrog

Established Member
Yes condition of the clutch will effect the shifting. I think you should be able to get your trany rebuilt and a clutch for the money you have to spend. And you will kick yourself for not doing both when you have to pull the trany again to fix it. Check with D&D Performance on the rebuilt and clutch. I have had great service and products from them.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Yeah the clutch slipping bad will cause the gears to grind since it never really disengages right. Not to mention the damage it causes to the synchronizers. I'm a cheap ass. I'd go with the old tried and true King Cobra clutch kit. It's holding all I'm putting down with no probs. See if that fixes the problem first. The transmissions aren't hard to get out of our cars. If it's tanked I'd check on D&D's "upgraded T45" or even the G-Force upgraded T45.

PS Just remember to get the flywheel resurfaced when you swap the clutch. I've seen people skip that to save a few bucks, literally, and regret it later.

Last edited:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Thanks for the info..

I'll probably just replace the clutch for now, and I am planning on buying a new flywheel. Maybe a little lighter one. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread