Rebuilding The Terminated Cobra1FAFP48Y43F309694

josephcostello

Established Member
I’m unsure what you’re into this shell for. I’m really happy on one side of a coin to see someone trying to save a cobra versus letting it go to the scrap yard. However I’ve got to admit like I’ve said before. This cars really far gone. As stated above, you’ll never even come close to getting anything for it in the odd case you’d have to sell it finished (god willing). If you had to sell it even for parts you’d probably end up losing your butt. If you were a bit more financially stable, and not trying to finish college, and do a bunch of other things. Hell even @josephcostello has been tinkering around with his for quite some years. He had a complete car to work with, and a plethora of knowledge and it’s still undergoing the knife for him. What I mean to say is you need to reevaluate a lot of things before taking on a project such as this one. I feel even a solid roller for you would be very time consuming, and still a bit of knowledge, and funds to get that up and going. Also not to mention this thread began April 26, 2022. It’s been nearly and entire year and nothing really been accomplished, no offense however you have to realize that 3 year build you had mentioned. Your 1/3 of the way gone and you only picked up a spoiler, and misc parts.
Agree with everything you said. Big thing for me was money and time. Not that I don't have the money to finish it, but it cost me about 2.5 times what I thought it would initially. I finished college when I started the build, and between putting money aside, investing, and saving for a home to get financially AHEAD - the car's been taking a while. OP you should listen to everyone's opinions and make the decision based on your own circumstances. Be aware you will be nickeled and dimed and you will absolutely not finish it for what you think. We all want to see you succeed with whatever you do/whatever car is involved.

Blown38

Established Member
Here's a shell for ya.

Screenshot_20230305_165157_Facebook.jpg

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Well no i'm not dead and no the car isn't scrapped. I've been focusing on both school and work trying to get hours at every opportunity possible in order to build up the finances to pursue this project. I did manage to get out to my local junkyard and get a couple of small parts for a very good price.
Hood prop, red top molding, black C pillar, hood hinges and a few other small things for $50

Attachments

• IMG_20230414_175949_147.jpg
    IMG_20230414_175949_147.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20230414_233441_068.jpg
    IMG_20230414_233441_068.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 113
  • 1681520681544.jpg
    1681520681544.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 110

dan1982

Established Member
Agree with everything you said. Big thing for me was money and time. Not that I don't have the money to finish it, but it cost me about 2.5 times what I thought it would initially. I finished college when I started the build, and between putting money aside, investing, and saving for a home to get financially AHEAD - the car's been taking a while. OP you should listen to everyone's opinions and make the decision based on your own circumstances. Be aware you will be nickeled and dimed and you will absolutely not finish it for what you think. We all want to see you succeed with whatever you do/whatever car is involved.
it always seems to cost 2.5 times whatever figure is in ya head. The thing is.... hindsight is 20/20. I guess when i was young i made bad choices also tho too. With the economy and inflation the way it is, this situation is tough to watch. Espescially for a young person... money is hard to come by and easy to lose. When i was in my 20s I got into motorcycles because it was much more realistic as a hobby. Some of these crotch rockets can be had on the cheap and can be enjoyable projects. and fast. I bought my very first NEW sportbike for 10849. I won 5000 on a scratch ticket and had an older yamaha r6 on trade. I felt like the king of the world at the time. At least the OP isnt using a credit card and going crazy............. Ive been there also.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
it always seems to cost 2.5 times whatever figure is in ya head. The thing is.... hindsight is 20/20. I guess when i was young i made bad choices also tho too. With the economy and inflation the way it is, this situation is tough to watch. Espescially for a young person... money is hard to come by and easy to lose. When i was in my 20s I got into motorcycles because it was much more realistic as a hobby. Some of these crotch rockets can be had on the cheap and can be enjoyable projects. and fast. I bought my very first NEW sportbike for 10849. I won 5000 on a scratch ticket and had an older yamaha r6 on trade. I felt like the king of the world at the time. At least the OP isnt using a credit card and going crazy............. Ive been there also.
I want to keep the credit card out of this due to how things are going in the world.
I try to save up to buy a certain part but as time will show I'm not afraid to go off course and buy something I didn't plan on till later, if I will save a couple hundred over the long run as I may or may not soon demonstrate...
99% of parts have been paid for in cash.

Last edited:

dan1982

Established Member
I want to keep the credit card out of this due to how things are going in the world.
I try to save up to buy a certain part but as time will show I'm not afraid to go off course and buy something I didn't plan on till later, if I will save a couple hundred over the long run as I may or may not soon demonstrate...
99% of parts have been paid for in cash.
Please.. please do yourself a favor and contemplate the good advice that the old heads gave u here though. This car... particularly THIS car in general, will cost 4 times what u think it will. Its a losing proposition alll around. I promise u this is the truth. sincerely. get out from under it man, before u get in deep. Any money u save could be put to GOOD use elsewhere. Cobras are big money cars..... save that till ure in your 30s and got the coin. Its not too late... u could get yourself into a regular mustang project for much much less money and learn a ton and maybe actually complete it. THIS car is too far gone and parts expensive.. Dont be the guy that has to get punched in the face to KNOW it hurts. thats what this is.... a punch in the face.,

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
when ure 20 years old and gotta save up to buy an exhaust system they are,
I'm already past the point of no return but my time line has changed a bit, 5 years to a full roller, would ease up the pressure financially, yes I know il never make the money back, that's not the point, this is ment to be a learning project that I would never sell, I plan on keeping it around, no one else would appreciate the work like that went into it.
I'm building it to exactly how I want it.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
In a perfect world I could build this car at a good pace. The reality is I sock back money every month saving up for a part to buy. Why, so I can hang out in the garage, build this car and make new friends along the way. It's not about money for me. I do appreciate the warnings and yes it won't be overnight but I can start to make a little progress as Cobra part prices continue to climb.
To put it into perspective of who I am,
Most young college students are out partying and drinking on Friday night, me I'm straight from school to work to work a 7 hour shift. The joy of getting that next part drives me to work more and do more. I know it's financially stupid but it's the passion and the rush I get from doing another task on the list that keeps me going.

1FastFord

Established Member
I get all that but why not just start with a better starting point. Build a restomod. Starting with a cobra shell with the condition its in isn't going to mean much in terms of value.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
I get all that but why not just start with a better starting point. Build a restomod. Starting with a cobra shell with the condition its in isn't going to mean much in terms of value.
Well, this car was gonna be scrapped and I was going to rebuild whatever I got from a shell anyway so I thought that instead of buying one that had a potential to be rebuilt by anyone, get the car that didn't and fight like hell to save it
The car is pretty rust free tbh. Just needs a tube front end.

01yellercobra

Established Member
We're 20 pages into this thread. No one can say anything new to try and convince him to change his mind. At this point let him continue. If he finishes it eventually he'll have an awesome story for car shows. If he doesn't then everyone that tried to warn him can jump in with the "I told you so". Until then just let him do his thing.

01yellercobra

Established Member
@01yellercobra

I think this is you man. You are officially famous, lol. Go to the 20:13 mark.

To be honest I wasn't sure if you were being a smart ass at first. But yeah, that's me at the 26:15 mark. And that's the model Glenn (@Black Gold 380R) painted for me. Thanks for posting that. I did talk to that guy for a bit too. Nice guy.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Well, I'd did something, after more months of putting back money and today I got a hood and a transmission, clutch, flywheel, and drive shaft for $2600

Attachments

• received_1006468457385557.jpeg
    received_1006468457385557.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230430_230321.jpg
    20230430_230321.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230430_230312.jpg
    20230430_230312.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 78

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
The hood isn't perfect has a little chip out of the hood itself ½the size of a pea, any recommendations to fix the damage, same on the wing.
Yeah, wait until the car is completely built and together before addressing cosmetic stuff. It’s probably going to get banged around more until you’ve got the car together

Users who are viewing this thread