rebuilding t56 soon

cursixx

Established Member
After a trip to the local drag strip with my nitto 335's I came home with a broken half shaft. Once I got the new haft shaft in I found there was something wrong with my transmission. Here= http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/543976-noise-clutch-depressed-gear-only.html
I hope to pull the trans in the next few weeks and get started rebuilding it.

I had a few transmission shops look at it and they think it’s a bearing that the input shaft rides on.

I’ve been looking for some rebuild kits but I’m haven’t had much luck.Anyone recommend a rebuild kit? Other parts that need upgraded? I don’t mind tearing it all the way down. So I want to cover any normal wear or weak spots I can fix.

If my input shaft happens to be bent is the D&D 26 spline any better than the Liberty?

The LFP Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve is a good idea? Anything better?

I rebuilt a 4l60e on my own a few years ago but I don’t know much about manuals so is there any video/DVD that covers the rebuild of a t-56?

Trans has:
centerforce dual friction clutch
liberty 26 spline input shaft

The Cobra is a 2003 with 31k miles, clutch has alittle over 10k miles and it's making close to 600rwhp.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
It is not that hard at all as long as you have the right tools.

*****Have to go to work, I'll post them later!

cursixx

Established Member

I found one on ls1tech like this but not that much detail. Thanks for the info and link :banana:

I almost have the car up in the air and will be pulling it this weekend if everything else goes well. I'll try to remember and take some pictures.

look like DDperformance has a nice site with alot of t56 cobra parts. i think i'm going to add the 3-4 steel shift fork.

cursixx

Established Member
Ok Trans it out and it's a bent input shaft. I’m going to replace that plus the tob sleeve and tob with a ford racing one.

The only other question I have is: do you think the pilot bearing might have been hurt from the bent shaft. The shaft was bent close to 1/4 of an inch. I can spin it with my finger and it seem ok but I just don’t want to put everything back together and have to do this all over again because of a bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread