Rebuilding NOLA?

PonyXpress

Considering all the damage to homes, buisnesses, and city infastructure, would it be cheaper to rebuild NOLA in situ, or to abandon the city, demolish the dams holding the Mississippi on it's course and begin building a new port city on the Atchafalaya River 50 miles away?

I'm not asking what the politicians WILL do (rebuild in place and have the city flood again in the future), or whether it should be ressurected for sentimental value, just whether it makes more economic sense to relocate.

*Edit: Admins delete one of these threads. Yes, I'm retarded*

Last edited by a moderator:

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Most (if not all?) of "old" new orleans, including the french quarter are dry :p mark it up as the original founders knowing that building a city in a hole was a bad idea.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
I dont think relocation is an option, they need to rebuild and be better prepped for something like this which is bound to happen again.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
They'll band aid the location and everyone will go back to normal. Relocation may not prevent flooding in that area either, or 50 miles away for that matter.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
The only thing that NEEDS to be saved is the port and the oil facilities. Everything else is just a ???? I doubt they will rebuild .... This could cost trillions of $$$$ ... They aren't going to spend that kind of money.

I am afraid I have personally witnessed the destruction of an American city ...

cyberbuba

Established Member
Well, I agree we need to keep the port, however, either move the city itself to higher ground or learn what Denmark did after they had 6,000 die in 1957 from flooding.....they built more than 1 levy........they built 3. Either way, its going to cost Billions.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
If/when they rebuild they need to put alot of thought and money into making the city as safe as possible. It needs to be well planned since it will take billions and several years to rebuild anyway.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
What they really need to do is make it the American Venice. Float all the buildings and ride around in boats. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread