Rebuilding a 78 Ranchero GT

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
I inherited my great grandfather's 78 Ranchero when he died about 12 years ago...since then it has sat in the garage at my family's lake house. We've put maybe 1000 miles on it in the last 12 years. The car/truck has just under 60000 miles on it now...all completely original. Even in mint condition the car isn't worth much, so I want to set it up to be a weekend cruiser.

Right now it has a 302 with a gummed up carb. So its gonna need some work to even be driveable...I was thinking while I have it apart go ahead and do some engine work. The cheap route is to keep the 302 and build it up...but I don't know where to start, or what kind of power I can expect.

I would really like to put a 460 in it with a built rear end, but I can't afford it. Is it possible to get the 302 to around 450 whp without killing my wallet?

Dusten

Established Member
the 460 is going to be a far cheaper route. you can buy a core 460 for about 200 bucks. and 450 hp is easy, even on stock heads. the rear end in that car is a 9" and should be 31spline and big bearing. already plenty strong for the power you want. you can have a C6 rebuilt to go behind the big motor for less than a grand and it will live all day long even in stock form.
if you are curious about Big block ford power, go here.
http://www.460ford.com/

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
the 460 is going to be a far cheaper route. you can buy a core 460 for about 200 bucks. and 450 hp is easy, even on stock heads. the rear end in that car is a 9" and should be 31spline and big bearing. already plenty strong for the power you want. you can have a C6 rebuilt to go behind the big motor for less than a grand and it will live all day long even in stock form.
if you are curious about Big block ford power, go here.
http://www.460ford.com/

I agree with everything but the 31 spline comment. 9" yes, but more likely with a 302 you'll have the 29 spline version.

Dusten

Established Member
I agree with everything but the 31 spline comment. 9" yes, but more likely with a 302 you'll have the 29 spline version.
you mean 28? I assumed 31spline, because i know the ranchero also came with the 400 in it, and i didnt think ford would put different rearends in it.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
you mean 28?

Dammit! You're right (I think.) Now I'm all confused!:lol:

I assumed 31spline, because i know the ranchero also came with the 400 in it, and i didnt think ford would put different rearends in it.

It was quite common to mix and match from what I remember. 400, you get the 31. 302, you get the 28.

with Cougars/Mustangs (with the 9" cars) you got the 28 spline open diff unless you ordered something snazzy like the drag-pak cars, or a big block.:burnout:

That coupled with the fact that 78 EVERY motor was way down on power because of smog... it wouldn't suprise me to find an 8" out back-even though I think it's a 9".

:beer:

JasonSnake

Established Member
Definitely hook it up.

It's too bad my dad sold his 76 Grand Prix or else I would be allover that thing right now.

Dusten

Established Member
if he needs a rear end, 9" are about $.10 each anymore. so 460, c6, 9" and have a blast

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
I definately thought it would cheaper to build up the 302 than to put a 460 in it. If i could have this thing running a 460 with a tranny that can handle it for under 4 grand I'm all over it. A friend of mine has that setup in his 72 and the build cost him almost 10 grand...but he bought everything through his parent's dealership.

I'm going to check out that site you linked Dusten, but since I already have this up...what would you guys recommend as far as the top end? I've never dealt with anything like this.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Not worth much? A '78 Ranchero in excellent condition has a NADA book value of:

$15K. for the Squire w/ 351w
$12K. for the GT w/ 351w
$10K. for the 500 w/351w

That sounds pretty decent to me. If the twagon's in great shape, clean it up and put it out on eBay. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread