Rebuilding 8.8 diff / carrier (spider gears and clutch kit)

Reloaded

Torque-a-licious
Established Member
I was wondering if someone knows if a standard locking 8.8 carrier (like the stock one in my Mach 1) can be rebuilt using just the Cobra spider gears and the Cobra carbon clutches from the rebuild kit? I ask because it would be MUCH cheaper for me to get the rebuild kit and gears and rebuild my carrier than it would be to find a new Cobra trac-lok diff (I work for Ford).

Basically, will the spider gears from a 31 spline diff and the carbon clutches from a Cobra fit into my carrier. Thanks.

Digital

Established Member
I was wondering if someone knows if a standard locking 8.8 carrier (like the stock one in my Mach 1) can be rebuilt using just the Cobra spider gears and the Cobra carbon clutches from the rebuild kit? I ask because it would be MUCH cheaper for me to get the rebuild kit and gears and rebuild my carrier than it would be to find a new Cobra trac-lok diff (I work for Ford).

Basically, will the spider gears from a 31 spline diff and the carbon clutches from a Cobra fit into my carrier. Thanks.

I bought my gt500 diff for 136$. It had 36 miles on it, Check ebay and craigslist for take-outs. Ford also has a program if you give them your cobra dif as a core they will give you a new one for around that same price.
Might want to look into that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread