Rebuild time

TargeT

Established Member
I scuffed a piston & am doing a bottom end rebuild, I'm going to reuse my rods and most likely the bearings etc.. it was pretty minor damage, but enough to make a slight tick so i took a look 'n found some uglyness

(dont seem to have the pictures of the piston, i thougth i did.. i'll post em up later)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/zTargeTz/sideshot.jpg

Anyway, she's sitting in the garage waiting for me to decide whats the best steps to go with.

I dont want to do anything insane. but whats a good path to go down while i'm already at this point?

I have to replace the pistons, any suggestions on that stuff? i'm thinking about porting the blower (maybe myself?)

Anyway.. thanks for any ideas you can give..

Last edited:

TargeT

Established Member
so i'm thinking replace the pistons with a .20 overbore with a quality piston(not sure which), ARP head, rod and main studs(or are these even needed?), new oil pump maybe?. Have a quality machine shop do all my machine work. I'll look at getting a new cluch and resurfacing the fly wheel. Also do the LDC cooling mod as well.

The car isnt going to be hugely modded, just a chip, pully, exhaust intake.. maybe a lower pully, basic stuff for a fun street car.

Last edited:

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
I'd try to grab a aluminum block and have it bored .20 over to save weight. Pistons I'd go with Diamond. ARP 2k bolts ect, ect...

TargeT

Established Member
ahh. power level zero!

haha, i havent touched the car in a while.. the octane around here dropped from 92 to 90, (thats when it scuffed, didnt change my chip) so i went back to the stock top pully but the damage was already done.. I'm going to do an X pipe and delete my cats, other than that no big power upgrades for now.

I had previously gotten an 11.4 @120 which was plenty fun for me

I'm going to have to see what this rebuild will cost me. it may be cheaper to get a preassymbled bottom end? I dont have the time to do the work myself like i used to.. too busy :(

TRiedy

wish i was back in FL!
Established Member
im about to go through the same thing almost.. havent gotten all the way in the engine yet to see whats up, but talked to Hermann a little bit today.. said it sounded like a pinched ring land.

im most likely going to bore it out the same as you, and he recommended CP pistons to me if youre still deciding on what to go with. just have to find a quality machine shop to go with now. :bash:

Fuerza

Established Member
I'm looking at doing a simple .20 overbore with the following
_ARP 2000 Rod bolts
-ARP Main Stud kit
-ARP Head Stud kit
-Federal Mogul performance Main Bearings
-Federal Mogul performance Rod Bearings
-CP Forged Pistons/Rings 17cc 3.572 bore
-2 Cometic MLS Head gaskets

TargeT

Established Member
If i get an alum. block whats a good shop for a pre assy short block, I know there's tons of cheap built mod motors out there, maybe i'll save the iron block for something else...

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
Rebuild

They just finished my shortblock. I went with Diamond Pistons and Embee coatings and pistons are pretty impressive. I'm sure others are good.....heard good things about CP as well.....I went with an 11 1/2 cc dish.

I also went with Oliver Rods......if anyone needs a nearly brand new set of stock Manley Rods......I have them for sale......They are in MINT condition.

DSC02755.jpg

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
TargeT said:
I thought tthe stock rods were badass??

they are, but the rod bolts aren't as good as they should be

if you decide to leave them in, they should be measured for stretch

TargeT

Established Member
measure the rod bolts?

maybe some ARP hardware to replace? i'm sure my bearings and rods are all good, i had a chip and pully and throttle body, not much modwise.. only was running 11.4 @120 on slicks (catbacks too)

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
TargeT said:
measure the rod bolts?

maybe some ARP hardware to replace? i'm sure my bearings and rods are all good, i had a chip and pully and throttle body, not much modwise.. only was running 11.4 @120 on slicks (catbacks too)

I would never reuse the bolts, even if they're in good shape

ARP2000 rod bolts are great....

as far as engine builders go, I recommend MODULAR PERFORMANCE :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TargeT

Established Member
Well the local dealer ship damaged my baby, but on the bright side they cut me a check too ;)

Here's what i'm getting so far

1979-07 CATALOG, 1979-07 MUSTANG .00 .00
LRS-13008J 01-04 HEADLIGHT, LH 89.95 89.95
LRS-27936B 01-04 SCOOP, QUARTER PANEL, RH, BLACK 79.95 79.95
ST-2239004 03-04 SPORT SPRINGS, STEEDA, COBRA 329.95 329.95
Order Total: 499.85
from
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com

I want to get the fender localy, any 01-04 mustang will work for that.. so hopefuly i can even find a white one in good condition,

I also want

K member
Diamond pistons
ARP connecting hardware (i'll be reusing everything but my pistons on the lower end rebuild, and boaring 20 over, staying with the iron block.. shipping a block to alaska isnt cost effective)

Here's what im getting so far, i'll add to this list as i find my parts

(any sourses for this stuff that people have found would be great!)

anything im missing out on ?

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
JB said:
I would never reuse the bolts, even if they're in good shape

ARP2000 rod bolts are great....

Shouldn't the big ends be resized after changing rod bolts?

TargeT

Established Member
Diamond 11.5cc dished (same as stock) @ +20, Plasma moly rings, ARP2000 rod bolts, Federal Mogul main & rod bearings and FelPro MLS head gaskets

ordering from Modular Performance tomrrow, any thing else i should do while the enigne is out so i dont regret missing the opertunity later?

TargeT

Established Member
So seriously,, are stock pistons 17cc or 15cc

I'm getting different info from EVERYONE

Modular performance says 15cc,, a lot of stuff on here says 17cc.. I ordered 11.5cc hoping to raise compression just a little bit, (15 -> 11.5) not a lot (17 -> 11.5)

anyone have a difinitive answer?

Users who are viewing this thread