Rearend Howl

01svtL

Established Member
I know there was a thread some time ago with owners of 13/14's complaining about a howl they can hear in 6th gear at constant cruising speeds, that would immediately go away as soon as their foot was lifted off the gas pedal, and come back as soon as the gas pedal was engaged again. Mine has been doing it since new. Did anyone with this problem ever get it fixed? My car is in the shop now for some warranty work, and I had them check that out. They verified the sound, then tried to say it was my aftermarket exhaust, which is complete BS.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
My 2014 has a whine in the gears on decel. It wasn't present until the poly UCA and 1 piece driveshaft was installed. Not bothering with Ford's warranty because it was silent when the car was stock. This is why the factory 2 piece driveshaft has a heavy "noise deadening weight" inside of it. The rubber bushings on the stock UCA also buffer it.

01svtL

Established Member
Doesn't sound like it's the same noise. The noise in mine stops as soon as you lift off the gas. It is only present when the gas pedal is engaged, yet most audible when at a steady cruise. I know there were others who reported this same thing in another thread but that was almost a year ago and I can't seem to find it with the search function.

'99Ranger

Established Member
I believe mine is fixed at the moment. The dealer rebuilt the rear diff 4 times and every time the pinion bearing had gone bad and the gears weren't set up correctly. They have replaced my Torsen twice as well while trying to fix the noise.

01svtL

Established Member
I'm scared to have Ford mechanics rebuild my rear end. The more I search, the more it looks like that's what needs to happen, though.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Why would you be scared? If its a good certified tech you have no worries. The issue is alot of these gear sets are bad quality from the start and if installed any less then perfect they make noise.

01svtL

Established Member
Why would you be scared? If its a good certified tech you have no worries. The issue is alot of these gear sets are bad quality from the start and if installed any less then perfect they make noise.

Scared because it is my DD and I don't want to have to have them rebuild it multiple times like they did with fordrngr. Of course they will rebuild, claim it's good to go, I go pick it up and realize it isn't fixed, and back to the shop again. I don't have time to mess with that over and over again - I'd have to take PTO from work to be able to get to the dealer in time to drop off/pick up. I was hoping the other people with the same issue had come to find it was something much simpler, or at least something that was a sure fix that would be done the first time. Then of course there's the chance they wreck the damn thing during the test drive to see if what they fixed is indeed fixed, like they did with my first Mach 1.

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
I got my bearings and ring and pinion replaced at 1000 miles. 500 miles later, it whines like hell again. Now at 12,500 miles and still noisy, but I refuse to take it back to the dealer. Ill just deal with it once i do 33 spline axles.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Warranty comes on cars for a reason. If you dont think a ford dealer can do the job correctly then you have to right to go pay a shop to do it. Completely up to the customer. Ive done my rear end 3 times and my buddies twice. No whining or howling.

vergil

Established Member
Same thing happened to me. I had a clutch issue which was diagnosed by 2 different shops and when I took it to a dealer they would always blame my aftermarket suspension parts. They always choose the easy way even if it didn't make sense. I gave up on warranty and decided to fix everything from my own pocket. I replaced the clutch with Exedy 500 and it is a day and night difference, I am going to do the rear end(new diff, gears, axle shafts) next week it is not cheap but at least you don't have to deal with their bs.
Dealers : Waste of time and money.

stags

Established Member
I have this exact same issue. Do you have 3.73? They are specifically known to be bad.

If anyone has an idea about how to resolve... Other than a stealership... love to hear it

01svtL

Established Member
I have this exact same issue. Do you have 3.73? They are specifically known to be bad.

If anyone has an idea about how to resolve... Other than a stealership... love to hear it

Yes, factory 3.73's.

Blazer, thanks for the epiphany, but the original post was asking if anyone who had the same problem had found the solution yet. I do not want to take the car in so the dealer can do exploratory surgery on it. Yes, I know the factory warranty gives me the ability to do so, but that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I want to know if others have pinpointed the issue and what it is, so I can go in and tell the dealer WTF it is so they can fix it the first time.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Doesn't sound like it's the same noise. The noise in mine stops as soon as you lift off the gas. It is only present when the gas pedal is engaged, yet most audible when at a steady cruise. I know there were others who reported this same thing in another thread but that was almost a year ago and I can't seem to find it with the search function.

Actually, it's caused by the same thing, just on the other side of the gear. Mine is noisy on the coast side of the gear, your noise is on the drive side. Both are caused by an improper gear/pinion install.

Do you have aftermarket suspension with poly bushings and a 1 piece driveshaft? If yes, did you have the noise when it was stock?

JasinEdward

Established Member
They replaced my gears 2 times in my 2014 before they replaced the entire axle housing.... I have 3.73's.... It is not as bad as it was before, but I can still slightly hear it. I have just decided to live with it. I had 3.73's installed in my 2013 v6 that made a little noise too. If they won't fix it under warranty go to another dealership....

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
Yes, factory 3.73's.

Blazer, thanks for the epiphany, but the original post was asking if anyone who had the same problem had found the solution yet. I do not want to take the car in so the dealer can do exploratory surgery on it. Yes, I know the factory warranty gives me the ability to do so, but that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I want to know if others have pinpointed the issue and what it is, so I can go in and tell the dealer WTF it is so they can fix it the first time.

I bought my 2012 about a month ago, and it sings like a biatch, especially at 80mph in 6th gear, I have the factory 373's in there, and I had the same questions as you, except of course your car is a lot newer, I bought mine with 46k miles, and was told around here and other Stang forums the 3.73's are noise from the factory. There is a lot more little issues you can expect from the car, notchy 2nd or 3rd when cold, rear end clunks, get used to them, you're going to go nuts trying to schedule warranty work for something like this :), this is my 2nd Mustang ever, first one (2003 Mach1) I was told to pump up the volume on the stereo and enjoy, I'm doing that with this one, if it breaks, then at least I'll know something went wrong for sure, honestly, get a loud exhaust and enjoy. The trans really smooth out if you change the factory clutch fluid and replace it with DOT 4, I did it last week, and the difference is unreal, for the driveshaft clunks, maybe a one piece one will help, I won't bother with that for now, I don't consider the clunks in mine to be invasive, as for the whine, if it groans you might have an issue, it's just whining, let that biatch be. :), you'll know when something breaks because the car won't run, in the meantime, enjoy... really.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread