Rear windshield!

Schlangenbisse

Established Member
Hey guys,

Haven't been on here in a while, dropped in to ask a couple questions because of a crisis. My car was outside overnight, temperature got down to about 40* I believe. I drove the car to work, on the way I used the rear windshield defroster so I could see in my rear view. I parked the car in a parking uncovered. I was walking back to my car to go to lunch and realized that the rear windshield was shattered and hanging on by the two defroster pieces on both sides. It was perfectly cracked and broken around the edges of the window just hanging there.

Do you guys have any idea what could of caused this? My guess is the rapid temperature change because it got up to 80* around noon because I've never heard of this being a problem. My insurance company uses Safelight repair and they quoted me over $1k for the window and installation. I would only have to pay my deductible ($500) Is this ridiculous? I also found replacements on American Muscle: Mustang Replacement Convertible Glass Rear Window (94-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! Now I know this doesn't have defrost capabilities but is significantly cheaper.

I'm looking for advice on what I should do? Have any of you ever had to deal with this with a vert? Thank you for any help or replies

Schlangenbisse

Established Member
If not for the tint on the window, the glass would have been everywhere. I thought these windshields were tempered?

image-1_zps6cc82521.jpg

image_zpsf8b7b43a.jpg

SLPRCTM

Established Member
My guess is you are correct on the temperature difference being the cause. These windows are tempered. That is why it broke into a bunch of tiny little pieces. Your tint is what held it together. If it was not tinted, it would have cracked in a bunch of spots like a windshield. Windshields are laminated with two pieces of glass so they are not tempered. The rear window is sewn in so it is expensive to replace.

Schlangenbisse

Established Member
My mistake, I was confused about what tempered glass was. Thank you for clearing that up. I didn't know it was sewn in. Do you think Safelight knows this and knows how to replace it? I haven't spoken with them directly because they were closed today on Sunday.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I would assume safelite knows but I have learned to never assume. Lol!

I think the top has to be removed or partially undone to replace the window. I would check with a couple places that do convertible top replacements to see what they charge to replace the glass and what all is involved.

GoingHaam

Established Member
SMH this is Des a-vu , this exact thing happened to me a couple of days ago. except the temp was in the 30s.... I turned the defrost on and next time i looked at the rear window it was shattered! Luckily the tint is holding it and it did not fall thru... it was my first time driving the car since September, Since I never drive the car and it didn't fall thru... I just parked it again and will worry about fixing it in the summer...

405438238.jpg

405438236.jpg

flS/R

Established Member
dayz-ya-voooo indeed. Keep us posted on how they go about replacing this. I have been using the hard top only since this happened on the thunderbird

Schlangenbisse

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess this is more common than people think but I don't think it's necessarily "common". Ill keep you guys in the loop. Going to speak with safelight this morning and all a couple shops in the area.

Did you replace it yourself or have a shop do it? If so, how much was it to be replaced? If you don't mind me asking

Schlangenbisse

Established Member
So apparently Safelight doesn't do rear windows for verts. I need to bring it to an upholstery shop of my choice and my insurance company will pay the balance if its over my $500 deductible. I called a local shop, they said they do this kind of thing all the time and that the window is put in place with adhesive. I'm going by there later today so they can look at it. Ill keep you guys in the loop!

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
It looks like Ford has a problem with the rear glass on some of the cars. I know that the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner is under a TSB for all the cars built on or before 10/15/2010. Actually in the Escape the rear window explodes. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is investigating that right now and if they get more cases for the Escapes, Ford is looking at a lot off recalls.
Maybe the NHTSA should know about the mustangs too...?!

Users who are viewing this thread