rear window on a vert...

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
are these things replacable or do i have to buy a whole new top?
Some asshole drove by and tossed a rock into my car, shattering that window.:fm:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
That sucks, man. The glass portion can be replaced. The top is two pieces. The rear curtain is the glass and the piece of vinyl that is machined on the bottom of the glass. That's what you'll have to replace.

With that said, the glass is the expensive part, so, if the top is worn, now would be a good time to replace the rest as well.

Last edited:

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
that sucks man!! I have had a bad feeling about something like this happening to mine soon. Out of curiousity (and since the search function doesnt work on this computer for some reason) is the termi top a direct fit for ours in the event of replacement?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
srl135 said:
price difference?

A lot. Swapping to cloth is not cheap. If you buy an 03/04 new from Ford at 10% over it is like $2000 and I would count on at least another $500 for installation by a reputable shop. Instead of buying from Ford, you could have an upholstery shop custom cut a top for the car like I did. Although it is less expensive, it is still by no means cheap.

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
jesus i didnt know tops were that much money, i might have to go through insurance. U think they would replace the whole top or jus the glass peace? just wishful thinking right now

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
SNAKIE said:
jesus i didnt know tops were that much money, i might have to go through insurance. U think they would replace the whole top or jus the glass peace? just wishful thinking right now

A cloth/canvas top and glass is that much, not vinyl. If you replace it with vinyl, like it is stock, it'll be significantly cheaper. Perhaps $500-1000?? Just call around and get some quotes. In my experience, shops are all over the place in terms of price. I had some quote literally 3 times what another one did.

It's probably worth checking with your insurance. In my case with the top, it is classified as a "wearable item," so they depreciate the value. After deductible and depreciation, I ended up with a check for about half the estimate. It's a bogus system, but that's how they do it. Since yours is the glass and that isn't really wearable, it may be different. They will only give you enough to replace the damaged part based on the estimate. If you shop around, you may get enough to replace everything or at least with little out of pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread