Rear wheels feel loose but everything is tight.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
When I'm driving at maybe 50, my back end of my cobra feels like it swings back and forth as if my rear wheels are loose.

My axle nuts are tight. All 5 Lugs on each rim are tight. Jacked the car up and the wheels dont tilt so the wheel bearings seem to be good. I have a Kenny Brown torque brace. Driver side has a brand new wheel bearing.

What could the problem be?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
If tire pressure is good and the tires themselves are good I would check your IRS bushings. Go to full tilt boogy racings website and look at there videos to how to check them

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Have you noticed that it only happens on certain roads?

The reason I ask is becasue I have noticed that certain roads make my Cobra feel like the back end is loose. I think it has to do with the black top getting grooves in it and my wide rear tires catching those grooves. When this happens, I move to another lane to see if it quits, and it usually does.:shrug:

Blueline

Established Member
If you have confirmed axle nuts and lugs are tight and nothing looks odd, I would check your IRS bushings. Alot of times it may just be the road, but you def. want to look over the bushings too. GL!

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
what do yall recommend air pressure for 18x10 / 285 35 18? i'm running 35 and its seems to be working the best. i use to run them at 40 and the tires wore out too soon. i think my spacers at 1".

KJ04SVT

Established Member
What type of tire are your running? if you have a performance radial, you could have a belt or two seperating/splitting causing the tire to flex. Just an idea, you can take it down to a shop, have them do a plum bob test on the tire, they will be able to see it. I have 10.5 on my rear with 315s, I run 32 lbs, no more...

DE07GT

Established Member
Check your toe links. If they have any slop, your toe is changing more than normal when you're going down the road.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Your halfshaft retaining nuts could be tight but you still could have play in your knuckle bearings if they are bad. You would feel that in the wheel if you jacked up the car and wiggled the rear wheels. Some attaching bolt could also quite easily have worked it's way loose. You have to get under the car and check it out.

:thumbsup::coolman::lol:

hotcobra03

Established Member
dont forget about bump steer,,,,is car lowered?

were the front subframe bolts changed?

try a different set of wheels to confirm if its coming from the tire vs loose parts...

i had that feel which the rear inner toe links had play,,,FTB parts fixed it..

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
what do yall recommend air pressure for 18x10 / 285 35 18? i'm running 35 and its seems to be working the best. i use to run them at 40 and the tires wore out too soon. i think my spacers at 1".

Yeah too much pressure and the center of the tire will wear out before the edges do. Personally I set my pressure to 26 psi cold. Then once I drive and they warm up they are around 30 psi. 295/35/18 NT05. Not Rs.

Users who are viewing this thread