rear wheel wiggles

orange_rush

Established Member
My car never had the clunk from the rear that a lot of folks complain about, up until I went to the track and blew out my diff cover. I since replaced the cover and have the brace. When I was putting the new cover on, I noticed that the driver's side rear wheel had a slight bit of movement to it. All of the controll arm bushings, ball joints, toe arm bushings were solid and showed no movement. I havn't had much experience with halfshafts and am wondering if this is where my newfound clunk is coming from, as well as the wheel movement. I have since put 1500 miles on the car and doesn't sound any worse. I have done a search on the clunk but havn't come across anyone talking about wiggling wheels.

oldmodman

Established Member
There are a couple of possibilities. The nut that holds the hub on could be loose. The bearing could be failing or actually rotating on the axle shaft (stub assembly). Or, if you have spacers they may be loose if they are the thicker type that mount with their own nuts, then the wheel mounts to studs in the spacer.

Users who are viewing this thread