Rear Tire Wear

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
Anyone else notice a lot of rear tire wear?? After i go on a road trip there is a lot of rubber dust from my rear tires on my rear bumper. This is not from spinning the tires. Just normal driving. This situation has cause my tires to wear very quickly. Car has been in for an alignment and I run Steeda springs and Yokohama AVS sport tires. Any ideas or is this normal for IRS's??

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
There was thread on this about a year ago where people were noticing what seemed like unusual rear tire wear just from normal driving. It seemed to be that the center of the tire would wear out first. Personally I think this is a dirty little secret of the irs cars that noone wants to talk about for fear of being labled a "lead-foot". I know I don't drive my car overy agressively on the street becuase good speed rated rubber is to expensive to be replacing all that often, but I've noticed the exact same thing.

The good news is, you're not alone.

The bad news is noone really seems to know what it happens. Some have speculated that the factory toe setting could have something to do w/ it but noone is certain about this from what I can tell.

Tango7

Established Member
Mine are the same. but mine wore the outside of the tire first I had it checked and it still wears the rear tires more than the fronts

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
only problem that i had w/ the IRS w/ the rears wearing faster is when i lowered it and didn't have it aligned, so the toe was way off, they wore through the tread in like 6K miles...

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah um I don't have any problems. I've got 15 K on my rears and Keep them at 35 PSI and no problems. Flat as a 11 year old.

Inside wear=too much air Outside wear-= too little air.

its simple.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Yeah um I don't have any problems. I've got 15 K on my rears and Keep them at 35 PSI and no problems. Flat as a 11 year old.

Inside wear=too much air Outside wear-= too little air.

its simple.
Yeah um, how about the part where it wears down the middle first? If I get a chance I'll post a picture of my last set.

Tire pressure was the first thing people checked . . . :rollseyes

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
Yeah um, how about the part where it wears down the middle first? If I get a chance I'll post a picture of my last set.

Tire pressure was the first thing people checked . . . :rollseyes

that's what he was talking about...if they wear faster in the middle (inside) it's too much air....on the outer edges (outside) it's too little air....

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
If it wears on the Inner Edge ONLY its an alignment issue. If it wears on the OUTER EDGE ONLY its an alingment issue.

If it wears both at the same time its a air pressure issue. If it only wears the middle its an air pressure issue.

Does the outer edge of your tire Feather? Is it uneven? Is is a series of peaks and valleys like a wave? Those are also aligment issues.

I promise. I've only done a few alignments in my day.

Last edited:

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
Well. my alignment is at factory settings and My air pressure is good but I stillhave a lot of tire wear with normal highway driving. No spinning tires on a highway trip. I thought it was toe in: went for another 4 wheel alignment and same thing. tires only lasted about 6500 kms. I am in Canada

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Those tires are maybe MAYBE a 20K tire. No matter what you do with that kinda HP is gonna wear the tires a little more than a normal HP car.

That's about 3000 miles. I know Yoko's are a soft compound tire. Maybe switch to a different brand tire? I love my BFG KDW's. They are a harder compound than yours but grip well.

Users who are viewing this thread