Rear tire offset is messed up

KotnmthKng

Established Member
I am getting ready to order some wheel spacers and I noticed the other day that my left rear wheel sits farther out that the right one. Its a pretty big difference too, Id say 1/4"-1/2". I recently had gears put in, is there anyway they didnt put it back together right? I dont see how but thats the only thing I can think of. :shrug:

My personal computer is down right now, but I'll try to get some pics up if it will help.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Do you have any other rear suspension mods? Aftermarket control arms or adjustables? I've seen cars with incorrectly installed panhard bars push the rear end over to one side too far.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
The left side is ALWAYS offset.

That is why when someone puts in larger wheels in the rear, you'll sometimes end up like this mostly on the left side:

006fenderrubbing.jpg

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
Its pretty common, I have had several cars and even a Jeep with the same issue, and I know that none of them were wrecked also. They just aren't perfectly centered from the factory.

KotnmthKng

Established Member
Well good to know there is nothing wrong with my car. Guess I just never noticed until I got the wider tires on.

So anyway to fix this? Besides getting 2 different size spacers?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
you should be able to adjust some of it out with adjustable upper and lowers....i've got it bad, too.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I've seen worn upper control arm bushings on the housing side cause this. With most of these cars being 10+ years old, they are a good candidate for why that's happening. The rear end should not be offset like that. When(if) you replace them, do yourself a favor and get the MM tool. It's worth it.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
KotnmthKng said:
Well good to know there is nothing wrong with my car. Guess I just never noticed until I got the wider tires on.

So anyway to fix this? Besides getting 2 different size spacers?

There is nothing to fix the issue.

When I first found out about my rear being slightly offset 1/4", I bought BRAND new everything. All control arms, shocks, the diff bushings as well, installed, removed, reinstalled over again (twice)...and guess what? I was still at the 1/4" to the left offset.

Finally took my car to Joe at Chicane (www.chicanesport.com), told him the issue, and he walked me over to the other mustangs at his shop and showed me that every single one was the same way.

This closed my case, but I should have driven down there before spending all that time and money.

Live and Learn.

..and that is why I'm on this board, helping others not make the mistakes I've made along the way.

Ken

Last edited:

KotnmthKng

Established Member
Thanks Sublime and 006 for your input. I plan on doing LCA's eventully so I guess I will go ahead and replace all the bushings when I do, just for piece of mind. Until then or if that doesnt fix it I might go with 2 different size spacers, cuz it is driving me crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread