Rear sway bars suck

Babbit

Established Member
So I am making a slow (2 mph) left hand turn up a steep driveway on my campus, a turn I have made over a thousand times since september, and SNAP!, right side of the rear sway bar snaps.

Now, I would not have been so frustrated if it was the stocker, but it wasn't. That one snapped in the same exact place 2 summers ago. This was a brand new (at the time) Steeda HD Replacement. WTF :shrug: !

Looks like I will be without a sway bar for a while.

There is no real point to this thread except for me to vent a little.:mj: :fm:

Time to spend money I don't have.

Thanks people.

Babbit

Established Member
Has anyone gone with the MM stock replacement. It says,

"We have a replacement swaybar which is solid, not tubular. The swaybar rate is equivalent to a 1994-98 Cobra’s original rear swaybar. See the swaybar rate comparison chart on page 30 for more information. Powdercoated black."

If it has the same rate as the stock Cobra, won't it crap out like the stock Cobra?

Actually it sounds just like the Steeda piece...

"The stock Mustang rear swaybar is prone to breakage where the solid ends are welded to the tubular center section. Replace it with 25 percent stiffer one piece rear bar from Steeda. These bars are about the same stiffness as a Cobra rear bar and the one piece design gives your suspension the durability you demand. "

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I snapped two replacements after the stock one broke in the first 1-1/2 yrs. I drive the crap out of the car on the autocross track and I ended up putting a smaller one off a fox body lx/gt. It worked great and never broke .

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I'd be calling up Steeda and getting a refund right away. Sucks to hear, that's how mine broke....though looking at the break it looked like it was cracked WELL before the final break.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
mine broke,but I ran over something and it got ripped off...i just replaced it with a stocker...held up so far...after it broke, when I was driving home, I went to take a long sweeping curve and the back slid out from under me at 40MPH and I had taken that curve before at well over 60....i let off and it caught traction. luckily i was in the inside lane and there wasn't any traffic...it could have gotten ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread