Rear Suspension Refresher

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
So I finally got around to re-doing the rear suspension on the Cobra. Maximum Motorsports heavy duty lowers, stock replacement uppers, and new differential bushings. All I can say is wow. The car feels so much more planted on the road now, and acceleration is infinitely smoother. If you guys have any questions on the install, feel free to ask. Oh, and as a PSA, if your car came from anywhere salty, go ahead and get new control arm bolts. They're a very particular size, and if yours are as rusted as mine were, they'll need replacing. As for a small informational bit, the 94-98 Mustangs have different control arm bushing bolt sizes than the 99-04s. Go figure, huh?

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
thumbnail_IMG_20180921_190415.jpg

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Definitely does help to do that on an old car. I went with the nuclear option and swapped an IRS with a FTBR kit.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
Definitely does help to do that on an old car. I went with the nuclear option and swapped an IRS with a FTBR kit.
You've got that right. The rear end feels absolutely rock solid now. And I've thought about an IRS swap, but for the power goals I have in mind for this car, beefing up the IRS would get pricey very quickly haha.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Not anymore expensive than beefing up a SRA. I did the math. Not arguing for or against each one, its personal preference really and the stick axle is always gonna be better for a 1/4 mile car.

96GT226410

Established Member
I have MM lowers and UPR Double Adjustable uppers with new bushings and I didn't really notice that much of a difference. Knowing what I know now I should have just replaced the uppers with an OE style, but I got a great deal on the UPR's.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I have MM lowers and UPR Double Adjustable uppers with new bushings and I didn't really notice that much of a difference. Knowing what I know now I should have just replaced the uppers with an OE style, but I got a great deal on the UPR's.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Are the UPR arms the Pro or Extreme series? If so, it will allow for the proper movement.

Did you set your pinion angle when you installed the upper arms?

BMCGC

Established Member
I did tubular on all four with new rubber axle bushings and poly spring rubbers and a new edge rear end. Rides nice.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
That's one of the most dramatic changes, the car just feels smoother going down the road now.

98 Cobra Vert

Established Member
I did pretty much the same thing as you op, but I also change out the springs and shocks at the same time. Your right it was a world of difference in driving comfort and alot of noise that was coming from back there was amazing to me, all gone when I did the swap out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I did pretty much the same thing as you op, but I also change out the springs and shocks at the same time. Your right it was a world of difference in driving comfort and alot of noise that was coming from back there was amazing to me, all gone when I did the swap out.

Yeah, I just got the quad shocks in the mail yesterday and put them on. It's crazy how much, I guess tighter would be the appropriate word, it feels.

98 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Yeah, I just got the quad shocks in the mail yesterday and put them on. It's crazy how much, I guess tighter would be the appropriate word, it feels.
With the new control arms, bushings, and shocks, I did not need the quad shocks. With that it gives me more room for the wider tires I will be putting on when $$ becomes available.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
With the new control arms, bushings, and shocks, I did not need the quad shocks. With that it gives me more room for the wider tires I will be putting on when $$ becomes available.

See, I've heard examples from people who were fine without them and people who experienced awful wheel hop, so I just went with keeping them. Besides, when I put some 315 rears on, if it's too close I'll just flip the shocks around.

850SNCobra

Established Member
I need to start planning for a refresher on the rear as well.
Question:
Which Quad shocks did you go with? I haven't looked at all the options available but last time I looked on Summit, options seemed really limited.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
BTW if you decide for some reason to go with aftermarket rear UCAs.. Keep rubber bushings on the part of the control arm that connects to the rear. Otherwise using poly you end up creating unnecessary binding.

Also to fit wider tires, if you want to keep the quad shocks just flip them. That will help. Otherwise put on better LCAs and get rid of them. Coils helps too lol.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I need to start planning for a refresher on the rear as well.
Question:
Which Quad shocks did you go with? I haven't looked at all the options available but last time I looked on Summit, options seemed really limited.
If you search Gabriel 14039 you'll find them. They're listed as a steering stabilizer, but they look identical to the factory quad shock. And they're only 33 bucks a side on Amazon. For something like those, I wouldn't splurge on Bilsteins or KYBs.

Users who are viewing this thread