Rear Suspension ideas and thoughts

Cobolt

Established Member
Ok so I pretty much have it planned out on what I like to do for my engine with a forged bottom end 4.6 4v Dohc swap with a power adder in the future. But really have no idea about the rear suspension was thinking 3.73 gears and thats about as far as I got. Not sure about a good brand upper and lower control arms or if I need to go with 31 spline axles and other bits. I don't plan on drag racing much mainly a street bruser with Max 550 to 600 hp. Whats your guys thoughts.

Cobolt

Established Member
Well if you mean what has been done to the rear suspension. Then the answer would be nothing all stock. How intense well yeah a little more of a ruff ride no problem but not full on drag. Budget well with engine and front suspension and rear for start 10k. A power adder of some type in the future but not planned now or in the budget just building up both front and rear and the engine for that day when it comes.

nileppezdel77

Established Member
Well if you mean what has been done to the rear suspension. Then the answer would be nothing all stock. How intense well yeah a little more of a ruff ride no problem but not full on drag. Budget well with engine and front suspension and rear for start 10k. A power adder of some type in the future but not planned now or in the budget just building up both front and rear and the engine for that day when it comes.

For the suspension, someone with more drag knowledge would probably help more picking out uppers, since I am not running uppers anymore. But for the rest of it, you'll want to weld on some full length subframe connectors and get some heavy duty lower control arms (I recommend Maximum Motorsport). I personally love their panhard rod as well, since it really tightened up the rear end and makes driving on the street much nicer. Since you'll be doubling the stock output, 31 splines is a good idea, especially if you plan to use slicks or drag radials that will actually hook. Look into beefing up your torque boxes too (the Wild Rides battle box is a good choice). Some decent springs (H&R is a common choice) and struts and you're good.

Three21

Established Member
Too many variables. Do you want it to hook from a dig or do you want it more of a corner carver? 5 speed or auto car? When you're inside the rear doing the gears at least replace the clutch pack in the differential.

Mustanger

Established Member
Rear Suspension mods

Some great advice so far! I too recommend the MM full length subframes. I also love the Koni Yellow Sport adjustable shocks & struts. You can dial in what you like or need anytime. Most say Bilsteins are the best but they are a bit higher priced. One of my favorite mods was the MM adjustable Lower Control arms!!! They completely eliminated any wheel hop on launches & going around corners in my 94 GT. Just plant & go! So much fun.

I rebuilt my differential & changed to 3:55 gears , wow what a change from the stock 2:73's!!! Best bang for you money right there! your car is SO much easier to drive & feels like a whole different animal. I did the carbon fiber Trak Lok & all bearings at the same time...everything works perfect, nice twin streaks of rubber for as long as you want...

My car had the full Eibach ProKit Plus suspension when I got it. Lowered 1.5" & I like the ride & handling...recently went to the Koni's & it definitely improved things. My next purchase will be the MM Panhard setup or a full Watts link rear (Steeda? Whiteline?). I still need to stop the rear axle from moving like it does now, depends on money. My goals are more modest than yours for power (no boost) just a fun, great handling & sexy looking, sounding pleasure car! I think you will need to go deeper reinforcing your axles & Torque boxes etc. Good luck & have fun! I am!!!

Burnin%20Rubber_2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread