rear supsension set up

CbiScuT

Established Member
Hi guys, first off I'm new to the board, I just recently traded my 92 Calypso LX 5.0 for an '02 Lightning. I have always followed the Lightnings, but up until now never owned one. So, here's my first question; I'm running the Hotchkis rear leafs, and the belltech shackles on the rear, what shock and the p/n should I use for the rear to help aid in traction and launching at the track. I'm getting ready to buy some used slicks from a guy here in town that he's used on his L. Also what traction bars or any other devices,ie: Caltrac's etc. can help? So far on my Street nitto's (not DR's) I've gone 1.90 60's runing 13.1 @105. I plan to leave the power level alone for now, It dyno'd @ 386rwhp/450rwtq, I just want to dead hook on the street and track. BTW the front has stock shocks, 1 cut coil, and the isolator removed. I am thinking of disconnecting the front sway bar for track days, (hey it's a cheap mod that always worked on my 'stangs.) Does it work on the L's? So any info on how to set up the rear (and front) for max traction would be helpful? My plan is to keep the Hotchkis leafs, now I need a good rear shock and traction Bars? to make this thing leave hard(er). BTW Mod's are 4# lower, FTVB, SCT tune, K&N, and an unknown brand muffler.
Thanx,
Matt-CbiScuT

Last edited:

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
qa1's or strange for the shocks...they are both mustang shocks. You might be able to use the JLP t/b's.

CbiScuT

Established Member
qa1's or strange for the shocks...they are both mustang shocks. You might be able to use the JLP t/b's.

That's the answer I've kinda been getting on the Shocks from the local L owners. Do I tell em it's lowered when I order? I will prolly lean more towards the Stranges due to price. And what exactly do you mean by might be able to use the JLP t/b's? Is there a possible problem with fitment or interference due to ride height? Geez, I'm a noob...
Thanx for your answers.

Last edited:

CbiScuT

Established Member
Stock I believe. It was already on it when I got the truck, I think I only have a muffler, nothing as far as a cat back etc.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
That's the answer I've kinda been getting on the Shocks from the local L owners. Do I tell em it's lowered when I order? I will prolly lean more towards the Stranges due to price. And what exactly do you mean by might be able to use the JLP t/b's? Is there a possible problem with fitment or interference due to ride height? Geez, I'm a noob...
Thanx for your answers.

do a search under my name regarding the shocks, but you should be able to call the company and tell them the drop on the truck and they'll give you a product number.

depending on the drop, some people have been having problems with longbars.

Users who are viewing this thread