Rear spring noise

Dekorum

Established Member
I am trying to quiet a creak I hear on bumps coming from my rear springs. I only have the top isolators in so I am first going to try putting in bottom isolators (stock rubber) to see what difference it makes in sound. I don't care about raising the rear up 1/8" or anything. I want isos stock because they are less of a height addition than urethane. Anyway, when I was looking to buy replacement stock ones I came across the dampers for sale as well.
JC94580.gif

They are obviously number 6 in that picture. Does anyone know what EXACTLY they do? Is it worth buying a pair to see if they stop the creak?

BTW, I have Ford B springs and threw away my stock dampers and bottom isolators over 4 months ago =(.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
A rear creak could be any number of things. Bushings going to your upper or lower rear control arms, spring isolators, springs with no isolators.

Tell you what....I BELIEVE I have some poly isolators that I'm not using anymore that I can let you borrow and install if you to try and see if that corrects the problem. If it does, use them till you get the stock iso's in and swap them out. Let me know.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You want to know what spring isolators do?
They isolate thr top and bottom of the springs from rubbing on metal, thus causing creaking noises.

Dekorum

Established Member
A rear creak could be any number of things. Bushings going to your upper or lower rear control arms, spring isolators, springs with no isolators.

Tell you what....I BELIEVE I have some poly isolators that I'm not using anymore that I can let you borrow and install if you to try and see if that corrects the problem. If it does, use them till you get the stock iso's in and swap them out. Let me know.

Its alright man. I am not going to be able to swap out isolators more than once so I'll just order the stock replacement ones and use those.

So my creak is very likely the lack of the bottom isolators since they serve to prevent metal from rubbing metal. But I did not ask what spring isolators are for. I asked what the damper is for, which is number 6 in the diagram. The isolators are of course 4 and 5.

Any one know the dampers purpose?

Dekorum

Established Member
#6 is some cylinder shaped thing that does in the spring, the front has it also. I remember taking them out and throwing them out when I replaced my stock springs. But I want to know what they actually do, lol.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
My stock springs had those things in them too. I've been thinking about it for a while and can't think of any point to them. :shrug:

Dekorum

Established Member
lol.. I need to know if I should order those along with the bottom isolators. I am about to order just the isolators and while shipping will be the same I will order those dampers if someone knows that they serve a good purpose, quieting noises etc.?

Sublime, did you keep them in your B springs (the dampers)?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You DEFINITELY don't need to order those dampeners.
My car had those too. They are a hollow cheesey plastic cylinder shaped piece.
I wondered what they were for as I was tossing them in the barrel. LOL

Dekorum

Established Member
LOL!
I know I don't NEED them. My cars not going to fall apart without them. Haha, but I was wondering if they would help me at all. Like if they are worth getting again if anyone noticed the difference they create. I guess I'm just getting the isolators I need. I thought maybe the damper would soften up the rear spring ride a little bit. My rear end rides pretty stiff ever since I cut a coil of the springs off.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry broseph, I should've worded it differently. That's what i was saying. They don't do squat. I don't think it would be possible for them to do anything. They're just thin cheesey plastic.

Anyone have a close-up pic of the part? So everyone can see what it looks like?

Dekorum

Established Member
I don't have any real pics of the damper. I am going to wait till Sunday night to order anyway cause nothing ships out till Monday anyway. So I'm gonna give it one more day to see if any one says anything differently.

Dekorum

Established Member
Any last inputs on the damper thing? I'm about to order my isolators so I want to know if I should order those too.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
dont order those things. i still have my springs in the basement (if my foot didnt hurt id go get a pic) i think it was a stupid attempt to keep the spring from bottoming out, and to help stabalize the spring. they came in 6'ers and gt's. no real rhyme or reason to them. save da cash bro.

Dekorum

Established Member
dont order those things. i still have my springs in the basement (if my foot didnt hurt id go get a pic) i think it was a stupid attempt to keep the spring from bottoming out, and to help stabalize the spring. they came in 6'ers and gt's. no real rhyme or reason to them. save da cash bro.

Alright, man thanks for the response. I'll just order the bottom isolators then and hopefully that will stop the noise. I thought it was an attempt to keep them from bottoming out but I thought usually shocks and struts bottom out first, so I didn't say anything. I dunno but stabilizing the spring sounds like a good idea though.

Users who are viewing this thread