Rear Shock Rattle

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Since I bought my Cobra in August 2010 I've been trying to track down this audible rattle I've been having in the rear suspension. It would only occur over large bumps in the roads or driving over pavers. My first thoughts were maybe one of my bushings was shot and needed replaced, so I thought well I'll cross that bridge when I get there and won't worry about it now.

I got home from work last night and I figured I'd humor myself and inspect the rear shocks. The driver side shock was nice and snug, no play or loose connections. The passenger side shock was a different story. The bolt on the passenger side eyelet-to-control connection was more loose than Paris Hilton. Apparently the previous owner installed Strange 10-way adjustable shocks on this vehicle. I could literally wiggle the bolt front to back and up and down. There is (1) large washer installed at each end of the bolt as well; the rattle I heard is the washers clanking around. I grabbed a pair of rachets and started to tighten the bolt until it seemed like the bolt was too long for this shock; the threaded end touches the lower control arm and can not be tightened any further. The bolt is still loose, so I was thinking about getting some washers, either steel or nylon, to "shim" the top of the bolt so it pulls the threaded end away from the control arm so it can be torqued properly.

Has anyone ever had to do this with the rear shocks? I've heard with some shocks you have to butcher parts from the OEM bilstein's to make the aftermarket rear shocks work. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd post pics from under the car, however I don't have a jack at the g/f's house.

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Well I fixed the problem I was having. It turns out if you are using shocks that are NOT designed for IRS they will need to be modified to fit properly. I used series of large washers to "shim" the shock housing from rubbing the lower control arms. The OEM shocks are offset at the eyelets to allow for proper clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread