Rear shock install

I8A4RE

Established Member
I'm trying to replace the rear shocks in my lightning. The passenger side was easy, but the drivers side is a little more difficult. Any ideas or suggestions would be very useful. .

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
I bought a 3/8 drive swivel headed socket wrench from Sears and a 3/8 drive 9/16 deep socket and I was just able to get it in between the bed and shock bolt. Then just get a small pair of vice grips on the shock to keep it from spinning and you should be able to get it. Hope that helps!

I8A4RE

Established Member
I bought a 3/8 drive swivel headed socket wrench from Sears and a 3/8 drive 9/16 deep socket and I was just able to get it in between the bed and shock bolt. Then just get a small pair of vice grips on the shock to keep it from spinning and you should be able to get it. Hope that helps!

It's not the same as both sides on my truck.

I8A4RE

Established Member

Hey there 02REDSVT. Thanks very much for your advice and help. I'll try that next. I appreciate the help.

glasslaws

Established Member
I took the wheels off so I could at least sit comfortably, then reached in between the bed and frame rail.

I8A4RE

Established Member
thanks guys. All your info worked great for me. I don't know why i didn't think to pull the wheels off, but once i did it became much easier. The passenger side i could do with the wheel on with no problem, the drivers side is obviously different.

ViciousJay

Established Member
screw the swivel.. a ratchet wrench would be great.

x2 i just did mine on sunday but what i did was get a deep 21mm 1/2 drive ovewr the bolt then slip the rachet on, it can be done but its a pain then grab i think it was a 3/4 wrench and pull the blue cover ont he shock down and place the wrench on the nut and start turning, lets just say youll look like arnold when done

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
Its a pain in the ass with a 1/2 drive... With a 3/8 drive wrench, its just that much smaller than the 1/2 drive and fits up in there nicely... I broke my ass till I decided to just go to sears and get the right tools, then it was out in a matter of 15 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread