Rear pinion seal leaking

JaguarS4R

Established Member
diff fluid is leaking but not from the diff cover, instead from the rear pinion seal, overall easy job? Any write ups?

94CobraPace

Established Member
Not hard to do, just have to make sure the not tighen the nut too tight or too loose, will change the back lash on the rear gear set up. Also, put some black silicon on the nut, keeps it from seeping.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
The nut that holds the flange to the pinion. Remove drive shaft, then you will see a big nut (1 1/16 I think). Count the threads showing and then remove the nut. I pried the seal out with a screwdriver, but they make a special tool. Once done, I tapped the new seal in with a rubber mallet and reinstalled the flange. Put a dab of loc tite on the nut and reinstall. Make sure to only put it on as tight as it was. This is where you have to remember how many threads were showing.

This is the easy way. Somebody will probably come recommend the harder "correct" way.

CJK440

Established Member
Count the threads to get the number of turns, but also scribe the end of the nut and pinion to get the exact relationship.

mackj66

Established Member
Dude,
Just pay to have it done if you aren't sure. I had it done this morning along with a diff fluid change all for only $120.

It was worth the price for me being able to surf the internet while waiting and not get dirty on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread