Rear noise with MM coilovers found....

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
FYI

I had a noise in the rear that developed after some time with the MM coilovers. It sounded just like an exhaust pipe hitting something when you would hit a bump. I checked everything and after months finally found it...

It turned out to be the top of the Bilstein shock, the nut that tightens to the top of the shock tower... I had tightened as originally stated 4 turns after making contact with the washer but I guess the rubber spacers loosen up allowing the shock to move up and down at the top....

I cranked them down a few turns more and no more noise.....

Check this out if you think it is an exhaust pipe hitting... may be the top of the shock.

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
It's easy to over tighten those and damage the circular clip that atttaches to the top of the shock. Then you're in for even more noise.

Also when my rear suspension would unload the spring could get loose enough to just barely bang on the inner fender. I pulled the shock and spring and beat the fenders in little.

I replaced the circular clips at the same time as I adjusted the fender well clearance so I'm not sure which was the real culprit. Eitherway I'm mostly free of coil-over related rear end noises now.

Users who are viewing this thread