Rear mounted trans coolers?? Vs front mount

henchmen3

Established Member
Just wondering what you guys think about having a trans cooler mounted in the rear of the car. I just bougfht a nice 07 with a cooler mounted back by the gas tank and even tho it has a fan I feel the trans would be better served if I move it to the front. Anyone out there feel the same. thanks

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just wondering what you guys think about having a trans cooler mounted in the rear of the car. I just bougfht a nice 07 with a cooler mounted back by the gas tank and even tho it has a fan I feel the trans would be better served if I move it to the front. Anyone out there feel the same. thanks

Perhaps the installer was trying to maximize traction by moving that weight back there.

Sounds like this car is primarily drag race focused.

If it has an appropriately sized efficient fan the rear location should not be an issue.

However if you would like to ditch the fan, a front location in the air stream would obviously be ideal.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I had a big stack plate cooler mounted in the rear of my car behind the gas tank, similar fashion to what you described.

It sucked, had to move it up front. Never got enough air, moved it up front and it works great.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
My cooler is in the rear and works great in the turbo Cobra. It has a th400 that is street driven and also ran at the local flashlight drags where it doesn't get much cool down between runs.

There where a few reason to put it back there.

1. The Cobras are nose heavy to begin with so anything that can be mover to the rear is a blessing.

2. After putting all the parts for the turbo kit in the front there isnt much room left in the air stream.

3. I wanted the best air flow we could get for the rad and intercooler.

Users who are viewing this thread