Rear Main Seal

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
I am replacing the clutch in my 98 cobra and I am going to replace the rear main seal while I am in there (130,000 miles). Should I get the teflon rear main seal or stick with the regular old rubber one. The teflon seal is supposed to be better for imperfections on the sealing surface but must be installed dry. Right now my rear main seal is not leaking so I don't think I would have any problems with any imperfections on the crankshaft. Also, is it ok to use RTV for the seal cover plate? Thanks in advance.

XLoSeRaCiNx

Sorry to take this over, but I want to ensure I'm not going to have any issues as soon as i put it back together. I replaced the the rear main seal (Fel-Pro 1-piece installed dry as directions state) and I left it over night, and I come out later the next day to check it out and there's a small amount of oil on the bottom of the rear main seal. Therefore I cleaned it up and left it for another day, and once again oil at the bottom of the rear main seal. Should I go back to the store and buy another, or is the seal okay and I can resume putting my drivetrain back on? (It's not a lot of oil, but enough for your to see that it is leaking)

arayray

Established Member
Had the same thing happened to me, although I noticed it after the car was all back together. Long story short, after driving it for maybe 50 miles the leak has slowed down although it still slighty leaks! I'd make sure you installed it the right way because apparently it needs to be a certain direction.. Maybe try a ford one also?

XLoSeRaCiNx

I'll be specific about it and I hope someone will be able to give me a pretty solid answer =)
I'm going to give some details and hopefully they are helpful.
-Removed old RMS
-Cleaned surfaces
-Checked for nicks and grooves on RMS seating surface and found none.
-Installed new RMS
-The Seal is a dry install only, and I think a little oil got on the RMS during installation
-Had no large socket so used old RMS and a punch to slowly put in new RMS, additionally the RMS came with a plastic tool that goes around crankshaft to ensure it goes on properly as it would seem.

The problem is I left it over night, found oil seepage which caused concern and I cleaned it up. the next day I found more seepage from RMS.

-Should I redo the job?
-Is the RMS fine and I can put my Drivetrain back on?

Users who are viewing this thread