Rear Main Seal leaking

Venom04

Established Member
Went to get oil change and my mechanic says go back to the dealer your rear main seal is leaking and he showed it to me. There was a fair amount of oil on the crossmember and around the seal itself. Has anyone else have this problem or had this happen? I know terminators are not known for leaking oil anywhere except for the whole oil filter tightning thing and cooler.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
common problem with the IRS. You have been launching hard on the car. Time to reseal it and put on a billetflow brace for added protection.

Venom04

Established Member
not the rear, but the main seal between the tranny and engine where the clutch is located. Thats where it is leaking ( engine oil )

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I had an oil leak a while back. The dealer was checking it out, they thought it was a rear main. It turned out to be the oil pan gasket. The tech said they couldn't tell for sure until they put some dye in the oil. They made it sound like failing oil pan gaskets were fairly common. Might be worth checking on.

Venom04

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I kinda hope thats all it is so the whole tranny and all won't have to be removed to fix it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Venom04

Established Member
Update! It was the rear main seal. It was in and out the same dayand I was very impressed with the service department this time around. thought I'd let you guys know.

Users who are viewing this thread