Rear Lowering Spring and Shock Install Question

NacsMXer

Established Member
I'm going to be installing a set of rear lowering springs and Koni Yellow shocks on my 2014 GT in the next couple of weeks.

Is it necessary to disconnect the brake calipers from their mounts, ABS sensor wires, parking brake cables, etc. in order to drop the axle to remove/install the springs? Is that necessary to prevent the cables hoses from stretching when dropping the axle?

I've watched a few install videos, and in some videos they remove the brake calipers etc. But in other install videos like this one from LMR, they do not:

[video=youtube;Mo9sg-mTmXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo9sg-mTmXw[/video]

djclark

Established Member
The only thing I would remove is the brake line bracket that bolts to the body. Its one screw and you just let it hang. It gives you more room so the weight of the axle is not on the brake lines. Calipers etc... you should leave alone.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
the only thing i would remove is the brake line bracket that bolts to the body. Its one screw and you just let it hang. It gives you more room so the weight of the axle is not on the brake lines. Calipers etc... You should leave alone.
this

NacsMXer

Established Member
The only thing I would remove is the brake line bracket that bolts to the body. Its one screw and you just let it hang. It gives you more room so the weight of the axle is not on the brake lines. Calipers etc... you should leave alone.

Thanks for that tip! Also thanks guys for backing that up.

This will be my first time tackling the suspension on this car so pardon my newb questions.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Thanks for that tip! Also thanks guys for backing that up.

This will be my first time tackling the suspension on this car so pardon my newb questions.

No problem better to ask and know then to be skeptical or not know how to do it. Remember one thing. No such thing as a stupid question.

NacsMXer

Established Member
Couple more quick questions about the Koni Yellow rear shocks:

Should the metal cups that retain the dust covers be oriented like the right shock or the left shock as in the picture below? I don't think the one on the left is correct but Koni shipped it that way so I thought I would ask.
2016-08-26 11.38.13.jpg

Should I tighten the shock nut until the rubber bushings appear like in the Koni instructions? Looks like just a slight bulge. The stock bushings have considerable bulge in comparison. Thanks!
20160826_114726.jpg

BMR Tech 2

The left shock is correct. And you don't need to get too crazy with the bushings. I always snug mine up so that have a bulge out a bit, but aren't pancaked. The upper nut only requires 30 ft/lbs.

NacsMXer

Established Member
The left shock is correct. And you don't need to get too crazy with the bushings. I always snug mine up so that have a bulge out a bit, but aren't pancaked. The upper nut only requires 30 ft/lbs.

Thank you for the reply. I would have thought the right one was correct because it fits into the dust cover much easier that way. I'm glad I asked because it seems backwards the way it mates to the bushing washer as well.

BMR Tech 2

If the cup were upside like in the right, then when you squished the bushings down it would be much closer to hitting the bottom of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread