Rear lower control arm set up

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
So what I would like to know is what you guys are using for lower control arms. I have UPR upper which haven't givin me any trouble. It's a different story for my lowers which I have steedas. I rip the bushing out of my stock lower arms racing an ss at the track. I won that by the way resulting in installing the steedas. Just the other day my rear started to feel like it's floating around on the road. Under hard accelaration from a dig the rear stays true. there's a clunking noice when I shift gears from time to time. In turns it feels like its tuning with the rear and floats going to the road vary uneasy feeling by the way. I'm thinking of installing poly bushings and a pandhard bar to help the rear from twisting. Any suggestion or thoughts of what my problem could be or ways to fix this issue? Thanks

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
are the torque boxes damaged? were the control arms installed correctly? i would run the same company for the upper and lower control arms....

the mounting points of the control arms are prone to flexing if the car is driven hard on a regular basis. they make plates that weld in to brace them. i would go with the maximum motorsports control arms. they have a spherical bushing in one end and poly in the other.

Last edited:

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
The torque boxes are fine.... I think. The shop that installed then build and works on only mustangs. Everything was tight. It's been slowly going down hill for about a month. I have been easy on the car due to the fact its my only car and don't have the cash to do anything.

Last edited:

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
which steeda's do you have

I dont really know. They are black. That's about it. I'm taking it to a different shop on Monday to check it out, make sure everything is tight and looks ok. If not I'm buying UPR heavy duty torque box kit and UPR lowers and maybe a for sale sign. :shrug:

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Take some pics. But sounds to me that they either put regular grease in the bushing and the grease deteriorated the bushing. They should should have used lithium(sp?) grease. Either that or they tightned the nut so much that its binding and caused premature wear on the bushing.

When you install these one side of the arms should slowly fall by the force of gravity before attaching the other side.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Take some pics. But sounds to me that they either put regular grease in the bushing and the grease deteriorated the bushing. They should should have used lithium(sp?) grease. Either that or they tightned the nut so much that its binding and caused premature wear on the bushing.

When you install these one side of the arms should flowly fall by the force of gravity before attaching the other side.

^^ This

Dino grease will eat bushings.

Also, if using poly bushings leave the uppers stock or bind will eat them up.

If you change upper and lower the P/H bar will help greatly.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Did you figure out what was wrong with it?

I had a similar issue with my car. The problem was that the rear swaybar bolts came loose over time, making the rearend feel unstable. I thought it was the poly bushings in the LCA got torn up, but they were still fine. Tightened up the swaybar to lca bolts and everything was normal again after. Eibach sway bar and Lakewood lower control arms.

Users who are viewing this thread