Rear License Plate fasteners

Kapy

Established Member
Anybody else out there recognize how cheap the rear license plate fastener is on the GT5?

I just took delivery of the car about a month ago, got my new plates. Starting taking the temporary tag off the car and noticed it is just a self tapping screw that goes directly into the bumper cover plastic? One of the holes was already stripped out by some lot boy who probably put the tempoary tag on my car during delivery.

Wow, I am a bit surprised for the money this car cost that Ford does not have welded machined taps for this?

I have had many other makes of vehicles that have had a better set up.

Any ideas out there?

Kapy

Established Member
Well did what the manufacturer should have done in the first place.

Drilled bigger wholes and installed threaded inserts.

Fixed. :banana:

ingram4868

Established Member
Ford has been doing this for years. It kills ya when you see it in the front bumper and often the installers don't hit the factory dimples and the plate ends up crooked.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Ford has been doing this for years. It kills ya when you see it in the front bumper and often the installers don't hit the factory dimples and the plate ends up crooked.

Cough cough.. UAW.... :burnout:j/k

san6279

Established Member
Well did what the manufacturer should have done in the first place.

Drilled bigger wholes and installed threaded inserts.

Fixed. :banana:

If you have time, would you mind elaborating a little on how you fixed? What type of threaded insert did you use? Would like to do the same.

Kapy

Established Member
Hey San,

Sorry for the delay, been on business trip.

I basically went down to the local Auto Zone. In the section of License Plate frames they have a license fastener kit.

It contains machined threaded inserts with screws as well the plastic square type inserts that snap into a correctly drilled hole and can recieve a coarse threaded screw that they also provide with a hex head. So the cool thing is nobody will steal your plate either because the odds of them having a hex key are unlikely.

Anyway I used the plastic square type inserts. Basically drilled a whole roughly a tad smaller than the measurement of the insert and then pushed right in. The depth of the GT500's license plate bumper area is only about a quarter of an inch. It works perfectly. Sure beats just tapping into the plastic and good luck finding a a screw bigger than a quarter inch once the plastic is stripped out. So that's why I decided to put the inserts in.

Hope this helps.

See the attached photo of the Cruiser Ultimate kit

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...eners-kit/_/N-25q1?itemIdentifier=975129_0_0_

Last edited:

Kapy

Established Member
Hey Poppa, nice car man.

Stock is good. More value to bring in the future.

I have contemplated putting an exhaust on my 13, but the thing sounds just perfect the way it is. I have never had a stock mustang sound so good. But I have heard 12's too and they sound just as good. Ford has done an extremely good job with their stock exhaust notes.

But being a avid fan of Mecum and Barrett, I think I am going to stay on the safe side and keep my baby all original. Outside of some window tint possibly and maybe some Shelby interior enhancements.

Kapy

Established Member
San,

I didn't reply to your message normally by hitting the quick reply. But I did post a reply to your question.

Just wanted to make sure you got it.

Users who are viewing this thread