Rear Glass defrost

archerychamp3d

Established Member
Just wondering how effective everyone else's rear defroster is. When my back glass is fogged up in the mornings on the way to work the rear defroster (back glass) does not get warm enough to defog the glass. I took it to ford with this problem last year but they said its getting power so it must be the grid in the glass. So my question is how effective is your rear defroster? will your's defog like I expect mine to do?

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Mine doesn't work too well either. But I keep a squeege in the trunk so if it's fogged over, I'll wipe it off before I leave and it usually won't fog up on me anymore. I will turn the rear defrost on anyways just to make sure it won't fog back over.

archerychamp3d

Established Member
SO i bought a multimeter, watched a few you tube video's on how to use it lol. Im getting 13 volt to the rear defrost wires and 62 amps decimal point may be in the wrong place but i am getting some amperage lol. how ever continuity is the problem. MY grid has multiple breaks. There is continuity up and down the edges but about 1 cm down the small runners, resisters that are supposed to make heat, I loose continuity. I believe that is my problem I will be pricing a back glass soon.

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
Not sure if you noticed but look at your back window and see if any of the little yellow lines are chipped or missing on areas.

When I told off my tint I damaged some of them. My tint guy told me the defroster wouldn't work like it did before. Sure enough he was right.

archerychamp3d

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I didn't' see any places that looked completely broken but there are multiple places that look real thin and like there are micro bubbles in the lines. I'am thinking the person who put the first 26k mi on my car may have had tint and removed it before trading to the dealer. I have seen the grid repair kits I will probably try that out before I call a glass company to come install a new rear glass.

bullet3z

Established Member
Mine does not work that great either. I thought maybe it was just mine that was slow to work. Now it appears that it is a common problem.

liter of cola

Established Member
i have a 2014 gt and my rear glass defrost worked great all last winter (im in nyc btw). doesnt work that great on hot rainy days though. but certainly works as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread