Rear Gears

GTPRFXN

Established Member
Ok I know im starting to beat a dead dog again and this has been spoken about a lot on other threads and boards but I can't find the info I am looking for. Im picking up a 96-98 cobra in a couple months and prepurchasing some goodies. Now the car will be a street and daily driver but it will also be a course car for weekend fun. Plans are to stay N/A with all basic bolt ons and suspension set up along with a T-56 as for rear gears what would be a recommendation ?

AMDanBailer

Ok I know im starting to beat a dead dog again and this has been spoken about a lot on other threads and boards but I can't find the info I am looking for. Im picking up a 96-98 cobra in a couple months and prepurchasing some goodies. Now the car will be a street and daily driver but it will also be a course car for weekend fun. Plans are to stay N/A with all basic bolt ons and suspension set up along with a T-56 as for rear gears what would be a recommendation ?

Hey,

The 96-98 Cobras might be one of my favorite cars every made, I'm confident you will love it, especially if you stick a T-56 in there!

With the T-56, you will have an extra gear to save you fuel on the highway, which will let you step up your gear ratio just a bit more. Normally for a build like this and the manner you will be using your car I would go with a 3.73, but with that extra gear in the T-56, you can step it up to a 4.10. The 4.10 gear will certainly get you up and going quickly when you want to, and be subtle enough to keep your highway fuel economy reasonable.

If you do a lot of highway driving, you may want to consider a 3.90 gear, or if you want to go all out performance, you could go to a 4.30 gear. A lot depends on your driving habits and commutes, but anywhere between these ratios will do you very well.

When you are ready to start your build, keep in mind we offer a 6% discount to our forum members. Also, if you see a product you're interested in cheaper on a competitor's site, we will match it.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask myself, or contact our customer service team at the number listed below my signature. Good luck!

-Drew

tt54l32v

Established Member
I wonder if people know that 6th in a ford t56 and 5th in a 3650 are the same ratio.
.62 that is? Unless you just want a "6" speed why not find an almost direct swap 3650 and come out way cheaper.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I wonder if people know that 6th in a ford t56 and 5th in a 3650 are the same ratio.
.62 that is? Unless you just want a "6" speed why not find an almost direct swap 3650 and come out way cheaper.

My viper spec will have a .50

i8urSS

Established Member
Anything less than 4.10 and you'll probably regret it. I just upgraded mine from 3.73 to 4.10 and after about a month I already wish I had gone 4.30
Just my two cents.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Lol where are all the 4.56 suggestions? Thats what I am doing after searching endlessly on this forum.

All the fast N/A guys in central Florida are running 4.56s..there , happy now?

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member

Correct on the gear ratio comment. It's also, plain and simple, a stronger, better box, you can grow with.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I daily drove my 96 with 4.56s for years and loved it. Even with 580rwhp I sometimes wish I had the dig of the 4.56s. They were a blast. I run 4.10s now, but that's with a blower. 4.56s. .. You won't regret it. If you go 4.10s you'll just get ditched by people with 4.56s.

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
I daily drove my 96 with 4.56s for years and loved it. Even with 580rwhp I sometimes wish I had the dig of the 4.56s. They were a blast. I run 4.10s now, but that's with a blower. 4.56s. .. You won't regret it. If you go 4.10s you'll just get ditched by people with 4.56s.

This. I've driven my car 750 miles one way, twice, 26 mpg, the lady didn't complain a bit. 4.56 /endthread

Users who are viewing this thread