Rear Faux Gas Cap Emblem change

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
So I have this thing not wanting my cars to look like everyone elses........I just like being different when it comes to my cars. I couldn't find anything I liked for the faux cap and I'm not keen on using Shelby stuff given I don't have a Shelby. So I took the rear panel off, painted the chrome ring black, molded an insert to fit in the center, and a highly modified old Mustang emblem I had left over from a 65 Fastback that I painted a dark, subdued hammered silver color. I had to make the rear different than all the other 11-14 cars out there. Unintentionally I noticed afterwards that my pony now runs the opposite direction of all the rest. A fortunate accident in my observations. Just curious what you guys think. The car is all blacked out, not what I started wanting but what I ended up doing and I think it turned out well.....I get lots of positive feedback on it. I added a side shot to give the whole picture of the black out. That picture was a few days before I did the Brembo front conversion
IMG_5395_zpsq2xzwo7s.jpg

IMG_5127_zps0pg9rdqb.jpg

Lone Star

Established Member
looks great.

I also like to be different then the rest, so I took an original flip open gas cap from a 1968 fastback and replaced the faux gas cap.

rear_zpsnghmrpch.jpg

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Please detail that a bit more to me. I have an original gas cap for a 65 fastback sitting here next to me that I wouldn't mine putting on, however the size difference between the raised section of the center and the cap doesn't seem to be something that could be overcome without extensive body work.

Edit: I just realized yours in an 11 and I imagine that is where the ability to use the old one came in.

Last edited:

Lone Star

Established Member
Yup mine is an '11, you would have to remove your blackout panel in order to do what I did to mine, but then you'd also have a whole bunch of mounting holes to deal with as well.

Mine came with a blackout panel from the factory and I hated it from the start, but did not have the same mounting as yours does, only mounted where the faux gas cap meets the bump out and 3m tape around the rest of the edges.

So I got a regular GT faux gas cap for $50 from a friend (retail $160 or so) friend bought it and ended up not needing it. I really wanted the tri-bar pony faux gas cap that the v6 has but wasn't willing to pay that amount of money for an appearance mod.

I was looking to do something that I hadn't seen before on our cars, so I decided to look into original 1967-1970 flip open gas caps on Ebay and I found a flip open gas cap from a '68 in great condition for $60. I was hoping that the cap surround was a similar shape since both the '67/'68 and 2010-2014 rearends have the convex shape, it was similar but in order to make it work it would have required a bit of fabrication. so I decided to just use the part that flips open (removed the actual gas cap)

Here is a link to one like mine http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-Mu...Cap-/221854964713?hash=item33a7961be9&vxp=mtr

I removed the faux GT gas cap, sealed the mounting holes with silicone and drilled a single hole to fit the screw that held the gas cap to the flip cover of the '68, tightened it to the car and you see the finished result. The cap sits on the bumpout in the trunk lid. and looks like it was installed at the factory. I'm very happy with the result.

Rearend progression:

IMG00495-20110702-2011.jpg

rearphoto.jpg

rear_zpstuaypurk.jpg

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I like the way yours turned out. I'm still up in the air about mine. This is the cap I have for the 65
918DE9DA-784B-4D15-A92A-64BAE775C625_zpseznfywti.jpg

I bought an extra decklid panel as it came with the V6 style pony and I like you wasn't about to pay for another faux cap at over $150. I got the whole panel shipped to me for $100 but then decided to go the route I went instead. I listed the extra one up on the market today, then started wondering if I should try to fit the 65 cap into it. Thing is, I wanted to black out the chrome ring and it took like 6 redo's to get the paint to stick to it and I'm pretty burnt out on trying it to start another. But like you said, on mine there are like 10 large holes when the panel is removed so just taking it off isn't an option. Guess I'll have to sleep on it

Users who are viewing this thread