Rear ended an idiot driver. DIY fix?

Glen

Established Member
The damage:

The emblem and fog light bezel aren't much of an issue. They can be replaced. However, the tabs where the bumper connects to meet the front fenders are both busted away. Also, the driver side "post" in the lower grille is broken at the top. Can anybody provide some insight on how I can fix things up? The bumper looks fine and the front didn't even dent. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thankfully, I clayed and waxed the entire car a few days ago, so it was slick enough to prevent any surface damage. At least that's what I like to think. ;)

1I91ol.png

The story:

So, a kid in a V6 Charger was trying to get me to race him. I was behind him at a stoplight, not wanting to get next to him. After the light turned green, he accelerated and then slowed to a crawl. I went to pass him and as soon as I checked my blind spot, he quickly came to a stop (note it is 11PM and the road is completely vacant). I immediately slammed my brakes, my tires locked up and I collided with his rear bumper at about 6-7 miles per hour. He then took off! I didn't speed after him, but turned onto the next street and found him at a stop light a few minutes later. Got the plate number, inspected the damage and called the cops. The kid was 17 years old, and played the "I was scared" card. I was with two big, tall friends so the officers got the idea that we were being douchebag bullies.

Why a driver would slam on their brakes in this situation must be way over my head, but the officers did not issue any citations. I do not have to file an accident report as his rear bumper was completely unscathed and my deductible far exceeds the cost of a new front bumper. Essentially, our "faults" were cancelled out.

Last edited:

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
You can get new bumpers painted for pretty decent price on ebay. Don't remember the company name though. They should have everything complete and would be easier ultimately I'd think.

Then sell that bumper to a GT owner wanting to upgrade and let him deal with it. haha

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
How close was the paint color to your factory finish?
I'm wondering if anyone has tried this with the silver metallic [YN] paint code.... Tempted to try them out....

I have not received it yet, but I have read other posts that said they matched nice.

I will let you know when it arrives and try and take some pictures for reference. I was quoted $570 to re-paint my stock bumper by a good body shop so this saved me a couple hundred dollars.

Glen

Established Member
Yeah, my bumper is pretty much screwed. I am very tempted to pick up a painted eBay bumper.

Booky, post up a pic as soon as you get it on?

oldmodman

Established Member
Unless the broken off tabs fell off there are special glues with filllers that body shops use to repair those kinds of damage. It may be possible to just remove the bumper and tabs and take it to a body shop and get them re-attached.
Without needing any repaint at all.

Users who are viewing this thread