Rear end

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
I have a very slow leak in my rear end. The guy at the parts store told me to check a vent that may be clogged before I bought a gasket or antything. Anyone know what or where that is? Its not leaking from the driveshaft.

Last edited:

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I have a very slow leak in my rear end. The guy at the parts store told me to check a vent that may be clogged before I bought a gasket or antything. Anyone know what or where that is? Its not leaking from the driveshaft.

Ahhh, you've been eating potato chips made with Olean huh?.....:lol: J/K

There is a little vent tube that goes from the axle tube to the bottom of the bed. You will see it when looking at the rear of the truck. It's on the left side. I seriously doubt it's clogged, but it might be. More than likely the differential cover didn't get a good seal during factory assembly. Or just wore out over time. It's pretty simple to re-seal it. All you need is a tube of RTV and some more fluid (unless you re-use the old stuff). If your truck has a few miles on it, you might as well go ahead and just pull the cover and change the fluid.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
Yeah I figured I was going to be pulling it off. I just figured I would try the easy way first. If I am gonna do that I will def. replace the fluid, may as well if Im in there. Thanks for the help.

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
Spencer's point on fat free chips is no joke, when they first got released, a buddy of mine who was a diet freak ate an entire 20 ounce party bag of them, long story short he spent the better part of two days in the crapper.....

But also our rear ends generate massive heat, ontop of the stress from our HP/TQ, these rears will develop axle and pinion seal leaks quite easily, so if you still have a leak after resealing the cover, then those items should be your next point of inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread