rear end whine at multiple speeds

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
i know , i have searched and i have not found a definite answer to my problem.

when driving i will hear a warble/whine at 50mph to 60mph in 5th and 6th from the rear. at 75mph and ending at 80 mph i get a higher pitched whine.

the pumkin shows no sings of leakage. i have not checked the fluid level yet though. could this be a pinion angle issue? it's not TOO loud, but it is noticible. any comments are helpfull. :(

grnenvy

Established Member
yo

I had the same problem. The car would whine at 50-60 then go away it was so annoying. I pulled the rear apart and didn't really find anything wrong. I did put a new set of Motor sport 355 gears in it and that fixed it. The motor sport gears are alot stronger more material. If you lay then next to each other you will see the diff. After talking to a couple racers. I found out that the ring gear gets a little deformed from HP and makes the gears whine. It usually happens with cars that launch real hard and or to much back lash from the factory. My rear was set way to loose from the factory. 14 thousands

Good luck

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
thanks for the reply. im figuring that there is an adjustment that's not in tollerance. i will probably end up taking it to the dealer anyway. im not sure, but i think i have a vibe after 90mph too. im thinkin the drvieshaft needs to be indexed.

SpectorV

Established Member
sounds like your gears were not installed correctly. If they are aftermarket gears i would take it back to them asap, if its the dealer and under warranty take it there.

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
update: dealer replaceing "driveline components". whatever that means. guess i'll find out when i pick her up. under warrenty of course :)

grnenvy

Established Member
nice

Nice, If I was you I would talk to the tech and see if he can set it up tight. 8thousands backlash these things really loosen up due to the aluminum pumpkin. My rear is better then new and I have no slop in the drive train at all the car is completly diff now. I drove in my budys car that is an 04 and his car feels real loose and junky. He's getting his rear reset it makes a world of differance. good luck

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
just wanted to throw an update out here incase anyone runs into anything similar. got the car back and i can still hear the noise. however, the tech replaced the following:

Overhaul kit:
1 2R3J-4602-AA SHAFT A 1
2 F3LZ-4222-AA CUP 1
1 DOAZ-4630-AA CONE 1
1 B7A-4646-A CUP 1
2 XW4Z-4221-AA BEARING 1
1 F89Z-4676-AA SEAL AS 1
1 5L3Z-4209-B GEAR AN 1
1 C7AZ-4628-A CUP 1
1 XL-3 ADDITIVE 12
3 XY-75W140-QL OIL - R 12
1 TA-29 SEALANT 12
10 D5AZ-4216-A BOLT 10
2 F65Z-4B413-A1A BEARING 1
2 E9SZ-4B416-A SEAL 1
1 E9TZ-4851-A FLANGE 1
1 D9AZ-4067-AD SHIM - 2
1 D9AZ-4067-M SHIM - 2

Tech wrote that they found metal throughout the pumkin

job #2
replaced the drive shaft

i definatly dont have any vibes anymore but i still hear the whine. perhaps im just not used to the drivetrain noise since the other RWD car i have is a F-150 and you really cant hear anything from the cab. the noise is very subtl, but i hear it. gonna live with it for now, but i thought i would poist this up incase other's need it.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Had the same problem - they did the same replacement in 03 for me. It's back again - but I'm out of warrantee. I have a feeling many trips down the 1/4 mile might have done me in again...lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread