Rear end took a dump

blacksvt99

Established Member
Well my rear end gave out sunday afternoon. After doing a couple of pulls against my brother in his 03. So I guess it is time to upgrade.
I been searching for 03/04 cobra complete rear assembly but have had no luck. I been thinking of swapping my stock carrier and halfshafts with the 03/04 carrier and halfshaft, installing 4.10s and bruce's kit. Has anyone done this before? If anyone comes across a 03/04 rear assembly can you pm me.
I would really appericate it

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
You looking for the whole IRS or just the pumpkin and a set of half shafts? your best bet is to go to the market section, cobra parts and suspension. Also check the terminator parts section since there is suspension stuff for sale in there that they only list in there for some reason. look for 01 or 03/04 pumpkins, they are the same I believe. As for shafts check with the 10% ford parts cost thread and see what a new set will cost you.

I was going to get used ones but thought better of it. You never know what the person before was doing with them. It would suck to get them, put them in and then be taking them out a week later because they were beat to shit and ready to go.

blacksvt99

Established Member
I am looking for the whole irs but have had no luck. Well its making funny noises and its binding too. I took it to work pulled off the driveshaft and started to turn the pinion with a ratchet it turned freely about a 1/2 a turn then binds.

grant007

Established Member
I would go with a built SRA and forget about breaking a rear end again.[/QUOTE

1st off
welcome to the club !!! :rolling: I broke my 01's twice, well 1st one's punchline had 1 bolt rubbed into the case and another exited thru the cover. ford rebuilt it. 2nd time dramatic seal leaked out gears over heated.in process of building it right. but i did swap a stock gt solid to get by on...It gasnt broke yet. :coolman:

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
I am looking for the whole irs but have had no luck. Well its making funny noises and its binding too. I took it to work pulled off the driveshaft and started to turn the pinion with a ratchet it turned freely about a 1/2 a turn then binds.

you just need to keep a close eye on the market. when I was selling my IRS there were at least 3 others for sale at the same time. Unless you find one local or at least close, shipping will be outrageous. A complete IRS goes for $700-$1300 depending on whats been done to it and how much crack the seller smokes.

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
I would go with a built SRA and forget about breaking a rear end again.

I've seen plenty of built 8.8s and 9 inch rears shit the bed at the track. They aren't indestructible, but if you have an aggressive driving style they will hold up to more punishment than the IRS will at the drag strip.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Rear end took a dump

Happens to me on occassion. I usually get some warning, but sometimes it just suddenly happens.

C'mon!!! 10 posts and no one makes a joke?!?!?!?! Buncha lightweights....

To the OP -- If you are going to drag race the car a lot, go ahead and swap to a GT stick axle. Otherwise build up the IRS.

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread