Rear end ?'s

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I've got a few questions regarding the rear end. I'll admit, I'm somewhat new to Mustangs so sorry if these are dumb questions. First, how is the rear end suppose to lock in? When lifted up in the air, if you spin on rear tire both spin. You can hold the other in place, but it wants to turn with the other tire. Not sure if this is normal or not, but the mechanic I had looking at my car seemed to think it was potentially a problem. Second thing, my rear seems to have some slack. You can twist the drive shaft a little bit side to side. I'd say it's about enough movement like this |\. It that typical? I had a popping sound coming from the rear when I put the car into reverse and start backing up, hard acceleration, or hard braking (only at times, not every time with them). My brother suggested checking the bolts that hold the u-joint on. He had had them come loose before (he was the previous owner). Sure enough, they were loose, and I think that solved the popping. But, any idea why these would keep working themselves loose? Thanks for any input.

Users who are viewing this thread