Rear end ratio help

Bryanh24

Established Member
Hello! So I have a manual 2014 gt and was thinking about changing out my gear ratio, I currently have the stock 3.31's. Sometimes it just feels like it takes the car a second to get up into the revs and go and I want a little more acceleration out of it. I am strongly considering the 3.55's as the car is a daily and I will not be supercharging ANYTIME soon. 3.73's just seem like too much for a daily. So what do you guys think? Are the 3.55's a good choice? Also, I do not autocross or anything like that. It's just a daily street car. So should I opt for the 3.55's? Let me know! Thanks.

Last edited:

TheBorkinator

Established Member
When I was NA running bolt-ons I had 3.73s and it was wonderful. Now that I'm supercharged I've got the equivalent of 3.31 through a Tremec and I wouldn't go any more steep than that due to traction issues. I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see going from 3.31 to 3.55

GBCoyote

Established Member
Auto or manual?

If staying N/A, 3.73. Changing gears doesn't affect much in the long run, but honestly you need ask yourself what you actually do with the car. Do you run at the track? Street? Roll race or dig?

Bryanh24

Established Member
Auto or manual?
If staying N/A, 3.73. Changing gears doesn't affect much in the long run, but honestly you need ask yourself what you actually do with the car. Do you run at the track? Street? Roll race or dig?
Sorry forgot to mention.. It is a manual. And it's just a street car, no more than that.

Myusername

Established Member
I switched to 3.73 from 3.31 and driving was much better. I almost wish I would have done 3.90. I commute every day from the beach to Orlando with 3.73 and still get decent mileage. Mines also a dd and I don't race or anything, just have fun driving it. I'd say 3.73 or 3.90.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
I just went from 3.31 to 3.73 in my 13 manual GT. Definitely gives a little more snap. I wouldn't worry about cruising. Mine is at like 2100 RPM at 70. I say go for it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

basspro302

Established Member
I prefer 331 my car hooks on the street with 305 555r tires Lund tune. I raced one 373 car similar mods I was out on it two cars he was also Lund tuned. I plan on boost so 331 is staying.

hand-filer

Established Member
Stock or centri I'd go with 3.55's. PD car I'd stick with 3.31's. Boss or Cobra jet combo you would be OK with 3.73's.
I test drove both 3.73 and 3.55 Brembo cars before I ordered my car. I found the 3.73's to be too much for a street car.

Flcracker

Established Member
When I was NA running bolt-ons I had 3.73s and it was wonderful. Now that I'm supercharged I've got the equivalent of 3.31 through a Tremec and I wouldn't go any more steep than that due to traction issues. I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see going from 3.31 to 3.55

Hey which T56 Magnum XL the 2.97 or 2.66 and what gears are you running? Thanks!
Never mind. I found the info.

Last edited:

noldevin

Established Member
I think 3.55s are perfect for a stock height tire, 3.73s if you go taller than stock.
My car came with 3.73s and they put me right in the "starting to get loud" rpm of my exhaust combo during highway cruising. I wound up changing my axlebacks to save my ears. If I had 3.55s it might have been tolerable.
It also feels like i'm constantly shifting. That can be good or bad depending on what you like... but cruising around I can be in 5th by 30-35mph, and in 6th by around 45 (on flat land).

Users who are viewing this thread