Rear end Question?

#1pony

Established Member
How much hp and tq can the stock rear end usually handle before parts need to be upgraded? I never plan on totally drag racing my car but it will see some strip time occassionally. My goal is around 500/500 to the wheels and then evenutally more. Any ideas?

Thanks

buddha93

Established Member
The axles are the first thing to go, followed by the carrier. If your going to run a good sticky tire like a DR and the power your looking at, I'd upgrade to the 31 spline. I've seen plenty of OEM 28 spline break with just a DR tire.

Otherwise, just put a cheap all-season out back and you'll just blaze the tires and not hurt a thing in the rearend.

PRO50GT

Established Member
As far as my experience goes...Ive never broken an axel or hurt the rearend running DRs. But as far as slicks go....I would definately run 28s with a good rearend setup. No matter if your car is stock or has 500 Hp like you want...Droppin the Clutch with slicks will eventually break an axel or damage your rearend. Although some people have more luck than others and run slicks all day with a stock setup and never broken a thing??

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
I ran 1.5 60s with slicks and a bone stock rear for a season without breaking in my old 86(486rwtq and 3200# race weight). I wouldn't recommend racing like that for long but it will take some abuse before breaking.

buddha93

Established Member
!

I ran 1.5 60s with slicks and a bone stock rear for a season without breaking in my old 86(486rwtq and 3200# race weight). I wouldn't recommend racing like that for long but it will take some abuse before breaking.

Damn, that's impressive! I've seen guys snap axles with cars only in the 1.7-1.8 range.

hi_po_heads

Established Member
i also ran 1.51-52 60s for 3 years with a full weight 90 gt. bone stock rear with 3.73 gears launching off rev limiter with stock t5 but the car only made 432/453. the car is now my daily driver still with the same rear and no problems.

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I ran stock axles & carrier in my daily driver that I drag raced on slicks (1.6 60ft) literally every weekend for 2 years and never hurt the rearend. I dumped the clutch at 5500 rpms. The only thing I ever hurt was the output shaft on the T5 bent a little as the car developed a driveline vibration as highway speeds.

I eventually upgraded to 31 spline axles & Auburn Pro when the clutches in the rear gave up and began doing one holers consistantly.

IMO though if you plan to drag race it some.. then go ahead and upgrade the axles, at minimum, to some hardened 28 spline Mosers/Strange units. The last thing you want to do is snap an axle at the starting line & turn the car into the guard rail or christmas tree.

Users who are viewing this thread