Rear end question

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Just got my oil done at Quaker State. When they were reading off all the points they checked they did not say anything about the rear end fluids. When I asked about it the tech said his grease monkey pit dude could not get the drain plug off due to it being in-accessable. So I told him to credit me back that portion of the bill and that I would do it myself.

So dude says oh no no I will get it done for you, He steps into the pit and around 10 mins later comes out and says that Ford really put the fill plug in a really funky spot. He showed me the plug and it had some real funky gray looking goop on it. He said he did not have any fluid that looked like that. WTF Have any of you had the fill plug from your pumpkin off and seen the fluid inside.

This has me worried. I called Ford and they said it was supposed to be that color and not to worrry.What do you all think.

Last edited:

acatalon

Established Member
When my cover leaked I found heavy Gear Lube drops that looked like reg gear lube. I helped with the teardown to repair seal and refill (the shop is real friendly and accomodating) We installed Oil from their Parts room and Friction Additive. I don,t remeber it being grey though, could it possible be from a little condensation in the rear end?

stangin

Established Member
Could it be the foaming affect from a long drive? Get a good finger dip in there and see what it looks like. If there is condensation in there or the fluid does not look right you might want to think about having the dealer look at it.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Sounds like my transfer case on my truck. Lots of black goo on the end of the plug. I dunno if it was anti-sieze or if the plug was magnetic and all of that was fine metal shavings, but it looked exactly like you described.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I checked the rear axle fluid on mine with 049 miles on it and it had some kind of grey colored lube in it. I guess that's what Ford puts in at the factory.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
My rear end was just resealed, and it was
dripping in my garage.The oil looked like it
was a gray color.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Well right on fella's guess I wont worry too much about it then. Just seemed a litle weird to me. But what the heck. She still runs like a raped ape . :) Thx for the input

Users who are viewing this thread