Rear end question...

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Taz said:
The carriers are different between IRS and SRA because the axle clips are different. The machining inside the carriers is different to accommodate one type or the other.

As for the Ford Racing M-4204-F318C diff, what the catalog means when it says, "Fits 8.8” axle assemblies with 31 spline axle shafts in solid or independent rear suspension," is that you can order that part configured either way. Take a look at the Torsen diffs on the Max Motorsports site. They're also available either way, BUT you must specifiy which (IRS or SRA) you want when ordering.

T-

Thank you sir!

SpittinVenom

Established Member
1999-COBRA-6661 said:
That sounds like what I need. Now my only problem is where the hell to get a complete differential with complete half shafts. I have seen complete IRS go for $1200 but I can't spend that much now and I dont need the whole IRS. Anyone know what the parts will cost new?

One step ahead of you, this is what I got quoted by SVTPARTS here on the board.

"Hi, I have some prices for you.

Cobra diff $244.89 OEM, the FRPP diff is about two bucks cheaper but I have the OEM in stock.

Cobra half shafts $224.64 each, I would have to order them.

I can be reached at 1-800-328-9552 ask for Steve."

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
SpittinVenom said:
Cobra diff $244.89 OEM, the FRPP diff is about two bucks cheaper but I have the OEM in stock.

That's the pumpkin and all the internal parts? Basicly everything I would need for the conversion but the halfshafts? I already have gears so would it be cheaper?

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
1999-COBRA-6661 said:
That's the pumpkin and all the internal parts? Basicly everything I would need for the conversion but the halfshafts? I already have gears so would it be cheaper?

That price seems to be in line with the FRPP price for just the differential (the part the ring gear bolts to) not the whole pumpkin.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
Dingleweed said:
That price seems to be in line with the FRPP price for just the differential (the part the ring gear bolts to) not the whole pumpkin.

I'm still trying to understand everything I need so bare with me. If I get that and complete 03 halfshafts is that everything I need to convert my rear end? I can use my stock pumpkin and the 4.30 gears I already have?

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
1999-COBRA-6661 said:
I'm still trying to understand everything I need so bare with me. If I get that and complete 03 halfshafts is that everything I need to convert my rear end? I can use my stock pumpkin and the 4.30 gears I already have?

Yes, I believe that if you buy the differential (just the inside piece that the ring gear bolts to and your axles go into, not the whole pumkin) and the complete half shafts, then you have everything you need to have your rear end fully disassembled and then reassembled with the 31 spline differential along with all of your stock/current parts (or with new shims and bearings if you choose.) I believe that I am right about that, but someone else please correct me if I am wrong.

Taz

Established Member
It's probably a good idea to install fressh bearings, and the bearing kit (FRPP #M-4413-A) for less than $30 is money well spent.

You might also want to pick up a Track-Lok rebuild kit (# M-4700-B) for about $40. That way you'll have a fresh clutch pack and shims handy, just in case. The rebuild kit also contains the friction modifier that you'll need if the gear lube you choose doesn't already contain FM.

Finally, a resusable case gasket (#M-4211-A) might be nice.

T-

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
I found some 03 halfshafts, do these look complete from end to end?

403DCP_2341-med.JPG

I'll pick these up if there are complete. Everything else I can get new (03 cobra diff. internals, bearings, Track-Lok rebuild kik, case gasket) and I already have 4.30s. If I use my stock pumpkin that's all the parts I need, right? Finally, does anyone have the part number for '03 31 spline differential internals?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SpittinVenom

Established Member
they look complete to me. Maybe someone else can confirm, after you buy them PM me how much you got them for. If it was a decent price I will keep looking but Im about to just go solid axle because of cost.

Taz

Established Member
1999-COBRA-6661 said:
I found some 03 halfshafts, do these look complete from end to end?

403DCP_2341-med.JPG

I'll pick these up if there are complete. Everything else I can get new (03 cobra diff. internals, bearings, Track-Lok rebuild kik, case gasket) and I already have 4.30s. If I use my stock pumpkin that's all the parts I need, right? Finally, does anyone have the part number for '03 31 spline differential internals?

Thanks in advance.

Those are NOT complete halfshafts. Each has only ONE CV joint (the outer one). The inner CV boot is there, but not the inner CV joint. If you buy those, you'll ALSO need to round up a pair of inner CV joints by themselves, which is next to impossible.

T-

Taz

Established Member
Here ya go. This is a photo of a pair of complete halfshafts for comparison.

complete_axles.jpg

These are DSS Level 5's, so the outer stubs are quite a bit beefier than anything else you'll find, but the inner CV joints are right off a Terminator.

Hope this helps.

T-

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Not to hijack this thread.

But can[t you just install 03/04 Half shafts by themselves assuming that that shafts are complete??? For an 01 Cobra that is. I realize that the thread starter has a 99 and needs teh 31spline carrier

Last edited:

Taz

Established Member
Double"O" said:
Not to hijack this thread.

But can[t you just install 03/04 Half shafts by themselves assuming that that shafts are complete??? For an 01 Cobra that is. I realize that the thread starter has a 99 and needs teh 31spline carrier

Yes, complete end-to-end Terminator halfshafts are plug-n-play on an '01.

T-

Users who are viewing this thread